iPhone X Is King of OLED Screens: See for Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad_53

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
Watching the World Series last night on my new Note 8 was an amazing experience. The pop of the vibrant screen was jaw dropping. Same for 4K HDR video on YouTube, simply stunning. I realize this pop may be at the expense of accuracy, but damn does it look good!

Brad_53

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
JANIS.AIZUPIETIS why is it funny? Apple has lots of third parties make their hardware. Apple is software and design, not manufacturing. And while Samsung made it, it's to agreed upon specs with Apple.

spectre0308

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
The brightness comparison is so full of crap. First of all Samsung provides the displays that are inside of the iPhone X. Secondly, comparing phone brightness levels in the same light is kind of an apples to oranges thing. For instance in the Note 8 it has a more energy efficient calibration by default, but you can always tell it "I want my phone at 'X' brightness when in this light" and it learns and does that from then on. Apple offers no such customization. And in terms of maximum brightness capability the Note 8 puts Apple to shame with 1200 nits vs the iPhone X's measly 625 nits. <mod edit>

<Keep the politics out of here>

gary.laun

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
Like they said...Iphone is tuned different, not necessarily better. OLED is a waste on a 6 inch screen anyway.

Brad_53

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
GARY.LAUN: Hardly. My Note 8's OLED looked stunning last night watching the World Series. STUNNING!

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I find it funny you talk about how good the iPhone display looks on the shot of Wonder Woman but IMO the iPhone screen looks washed out compared to the other two.

Brad_53

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
What's that big notch on the right side of the iPhone X screenshot of Wonder Woman? Why wasn't this addressed in the review?

reasonfordance

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
All of the reviewers that continue to rant about the poor Color Accuracy of the Galaxy OLED displays have failed to set the proper Screen Mode for their content, which is very accurate as shown in our extensive Lab Measurements and Viewing Tests.

chidisstillfly1

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
This...is just stupid. I'm not even sure how they came to this conclusion that Apple's is better when Samsung purposefully keeps their best screens for their devices and sells everyone else 2nd tier OLED. Like, have you even seen the Note 8 in direct sunlight?

r.cabreezy

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Its become painfully clear that Toms Guide has now been bought out by Apple. This article is complete bullshit.

1) OLED is superior to LCD when it comes to viewing angles, brightness drops considerably more on LCD as the viewing angle increases. Color shift is a different measurement

2) Who the hell did the actual testing. Color space and color accuracy are two separate things. You can have a display that has a wide color range and is color accurate.

3) Testing has shown that True tone actually makes the color accuracy WORSE.

4) Samsung made both display panels. Apple may have designed it but the display is 100% Samsung OLED technology. Don't believe me, lets see LG try and make a similar OLED display.

5) Don't trust this garbage review, it goes against everything we now about the Note 8. Trust a real display review site like Displaymate.com

preston_owens

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Ha ha ha, samsung makes the screen any one can lower the brightness of the other phones to make it look brighter. I've been reading Tom's insight since Tom actually did it but not anymore.

freediverx

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Why on earth would you compare brightness averages? That is the most meaningless stat I can imagine. When people want to know is max brightness, since that will determine how readable the display will be in bright sunlight.

swift1222

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

To everyone saying the Note 8's brightness is 1200 nits: it's not. The only time brightness is that high is when 1% of the display is lit up white and the rest is black (off). OLED is able to send more power to the pixels that are on, thus making them significantly brighter.

This, however, is not realistic. In real use it'll NEVER be anywhere near that bright. You should really do some research before spouting out information you know nothing about. I'm not defending Apple here, but people need to realize that Samsung's display measurements aren't realistic in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.