Iraq Spends $85 Million on Fake Bomb Detectors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ha, this guy will walk. Where was the fraud?? He said it worked just like dousing for water. In other words he said, from the get go, this device is a novelty toy manufactured for amusement purposes!

Turns out that those naked radiation scanners that are being peddled to airports the world over are also a novelty that does not detect bombs, go figure!

Searching people who have one way tickets, depart from a terrorist harboring country, traveling alone, sport a beard and a Koran, did not check bags, have no money on them or to their name, and who's fathers warn the US embassy that they are terrorists would be a lot more effective at finding bombs. BUT, it would be considered politically incorrect, so instead we have antennas attached to plastic handles. L. Oh. L.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Lol. "Hey these guys are selling light sabers!"
"No way... do they work?"
"Why would they try to sell us something that doesn't?"
"You have a point, let's buy then all!!"

derstarke

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Doesn't matter if they "tested" it, but they've been using the damn things and they aren't working. I mean, they used them and CONTINUED to use them. Someone once called that insanity. I think he's right.

G

well for a while the detectors maybe scared off a few bomb strapped terrorists, I mean you dont walk thru a metal detector with a shotgun in your pants do you?

mianmian

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Here is the "training" video of this device.
How the hell they make it work at that time?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5231107417089432419&ei=KIReS-2lKpT8qAO82encAw&q=ADE-651&hl=en&client=firefox-a#

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
probably the seller was a terrorist and worked with corrupt officials to swindle a whole lot of money. the outcome might therefore be more real bombs.

c0r3f1ght3r

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
they should of saved their money, paid some terrorists to steal a nuke and then blow themselves up... it would save a lot of time and headaches seriously...

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]cjl[/nom]Since dowsing doesn't work, it's no surprise that a device that uses the "same method" also doesn't work.[/citation]

I beg to differ... Dowsing for water DOES work, for some. Why, I do not know, but I have seen it, done it, and enjoyed the results. Good dowsers can pinpoint a borehole location to within a meter, even tell you how many meters down you have to drill.

That said, I do have doubts for this device....

romansky

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
OMG, he has reverse engineered Apple marketing techniques!!

1. Say it finds bombs
2. Put it in a nice wrapping
3. Overprice it like its made of diamonds

Priceless..

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]They bought 2,125 units at $40,000 each without first validating that they were more than radio antennas with plastic handles attached? And they didn't suspect anything fishy, seeing that it works without any kind of power? Who the hell is the buyer at the Iraqi governement?!?![/citation]

He's probably already been beheaded or something of the like by now.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]You mean $85 million in US tax dollars spend on fake Iraq bomb detectors, right?[/citation]

In oil revenue. Still, its money thrown in a pit.

If you believe dowsing works, you are probably a religious person. lol

The solution for Iraq: Leveling the place with B-52s.

robertjp

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
no put each of the people in front of the convoys these things are supposed to detect. How many people have been injured due to this garbage

robertjp

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
no put each of the people in front of the convoys these things are supposed to detect. How many people have been injured due to this garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS