Iraq Spends $85 Million on Fake Bomb Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]You've got to be kidding me... that's just absolute incompetence on the part of Iraq's government, EPIC FAIL.[/citation]
With enough "greasing" anything works... at least in commercials and/or leaflets.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Makes you think who's in charge of decision-making in governments.

Remember swine flu? Egypt slaughtered over two-hundred thousand pigs to prevent an outbreak. Brilliant, except there was no threat or connection between swine flu and Egyptian pig livestock.

Logic dictates someone in charge should have the expertise to back-up their job title, unfortunately when it comes to government jobs that isn't always the case, as a result things like this unfortunately happen and the cost is innocent lives.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
They bought 2,125 units at $40,000 each without first validating that they were more than radio antennas with plastic handles attached? And they didn't suspect anything fishy, seeing that it works without any kind of power? Who the hell is the buyer at the Iraqi governement?!?!

G

I would bet money, that whom ever approved the device purchase, in iraq new the device was bogus, furthermore, I bet some corrupt American politician has a take in that as well, this has Cheney stench all over it.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]logitic[/nom]This story is so sad I couldn't even post my normal quick response. It's just sad![/citation]
sad story is sad :(

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I've read about this months ago. They (Iraqi police) were shown that the detectors were not better at findings bombs that plain old-fashioned (free) guessing. Not 85 Million USD (not free) guessing. I'm sure they help to deter some people from smuggling bombs. Once they don't get caught several times on the way through it's repeated over and over. Another example of wasted Govt. spending.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Couple of things:

1- I think this is old news.
2- Is it sadder that this was probably bought with US taxpayer $$$
3- Is is sadder still that they were purchased at US gov't suggestion?

Hmm....

whobannedme

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
True "Green" energy - using the body static electricity to power the device is "Awesome". And only 40K and some change? I wonder why this isn't selling in the US? It's because it's made of the same anti-theft stickers the stores uses LOL. How can any person in their right mind find this product to work is beyond me. Though, being naive I might think it could work, but I'm sure it took more than one person to make such a huge decision to say "Yes" let's buy that thing it works as advertised. Still really sad though.

invalid777

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
The only way I could see this even being remotely a "good idea." Is 1. that the appearance of any device able to detect bombs or explosives is a deterrent. If someone believes or thinks that they actually detect bombs they are less likely to attempt something within its proximity (much like the fake video cameras in some business).

2. The supplements and government rebates for purchasing items can dramatically increase the "price" of an item (everyone remembers the million dollar toilet NASA bought and all the other expensive nuts and bolts). It isn't that the individual items or even end product cost a million dollars but with all the rebates and such the "price" increases dramatically.

Barring all that if these were indeed retailing for $40K and no one saw through the smoke screen... just wow. Words can't describe the ineptitude of this mistake.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
"Is is sadder still that they were purchased at US gov't suggestion?"

Nope, the US doesn't use this device, nor do any NATO members. In fact the United States advised Iraq not to buy these things. Now, the Middle East isn't exactly known for having a thriving scientific community but this has got to be a new low, one that costs lives almost every day.

Oh well, Cheney thought climate change is bogus and Hugo Chavez these days goes out to spread the message that the US actually caused the earthquake in Haiti using a secret electromagnetic superweapon (el Presidente spends a little too much time on conspiracy websites it seems). I guess you can't trust politicians with science, except Angela Merkel of course

Status
Not open for further replies.