Irate Consumer Smashes Laptop at HP Store

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

HP support is worse than trash. Before I knew better, I had bought the top of the line HP out of convenience. Surely enough, something screwed up weeks later. Sent it in, came back slightly fixed, yet something else was wrong. This is always the case with companies that outsources 99.9% of their labor. Even my girlfriend's PC, who also had a top of the line HP from the store, started having major issues weeks into buying it. "disc drive imminent failure" notifications started a week into getting it, and it took them 2 years to figure it out. When they sent it back for the last time, I don't know whether it was intentional or not, but they disconnected the wireless card and wiring. Some screwed up, second rate business practices if you ask me. I've learned my lesson from everyone in my family that's ever owned an HP (it always fucked up): never buy HP for any of their products- PERIOD. Always build your own computer!

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]i would have handed him a broom and said"clean it up!!!!!!!!"[/citation]

You must have never been an HP customer. I do not know anyone who has had a semi recent model for over 18 months which has a single good thing to say about them. I can think of at least a dozen people off the top of my head who would love to do that very thing, they just do not have the boldness required to do so.

zjuice

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I have owned 5 HP computer 4 Laptops and my first desktop (I build my desktops now). I have never had a problem. One of the laptops I bought in 2004 (which I used in Afghanistan) took a hell of a beating and still works today. I bought a dell XPS for 3 grand and it turned into a paper wait right after the warranty expired. I like HP printer as well. But I guess everyone has opinions and you know what they say about opinions!!!

vicenarian

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah HP is terrible...

I have a dv9700 which was near the top of the line when I bought it (nearly $1700.00), and within a couple weeks the thing bricked because of the infamous overheating GPU problem. To "fix" the problem, they replaced the defective parts (I assume), and underclocked my Nvidia 8600GS, robbing me of performance I paid for! Plus, they flashed the BIOS to make the fan run faster, robbing me of battery power. Disgusting!

NOOOO more HPs for me!

henryjesus

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
yup agreed , after being in notebook product support for almost a year, I could say, HP has to come up with a strategy for better products, after that , advertising comes next ... it will follow

G

Dell laptops also use the "rubber-foam-gum substance to fill in an 8mm gap between the heatsink and the northbridge"....

pelomixa

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
HP laptops are utter garbage, I am waiting for the class action lawsuit that comes out of there poopoo trashtops. Honestly, I repair computers and laptops for a living -have my own business, I constantly get hp laptops that because of the fact that they SUCK, have become paper weights. I honestly have 4 in my office right now, the owners just left them with me since they are garbage.

alabasterboy

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
The thing with hp/dell/lenovo is that there consumer stuff this is a pos but there business stuff is actually pretty good. There main business is b2b not consumer.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alabasterboy[/nom]The thing with hp/dell/lenovo is that there consumer stuff this is a pos but there business stuff is actually pretty good. There main business is b2b not consumer.[/citation]
I can't believe you would put Dell in the same category as HP. I have had several Dell laptops over the years and for the most part they have been great. I have even purchased a couple HP computers the laptop that I purchased was so dog ass slow I returned within a week and the desktop was fast but randomly restarts.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]alabasterboy[/nom]The thing with hp/dell/lenovo is that there consumer stuff this is a pos but there business stuff is actually pretty good. There main business is b2b not consumer.[/citation]
I was considering a Dell laptop, but I considered the Vostro line only. Didn't want something that'd break in a month. =D

Tempting to give BestBuy my Acer laptop back with a pound of titanium oxide/aluminum (burns hotter than conventional iron oxide) thermite on top. Then put a sparkler in it.
Then buy an Asus.
I can only use the damned 9600GT for 5-10 minutes before it overheats and reboots.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I've got an HP convertable notebook/tablet, but it has an AMD HD 3200 based chipset and works fine.

My desktop on the otherhand is an HP with the Nvidia 6150 LE chipset, but it also seems to be fine. Course I do use discrete graphics (GT 240) so the 6150 LE doesn't get much work to do. That and desktops are a lot less likely to suffer from heat related issues than a laptop

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I've got an HP convertable notebook/tablet, but it has an AMD HD 3200 based chipset and works fine.

My desktop on the otherhand is an HP with the Nvidia 6150 LE chipset, but it also seems to be fine. Course I do use discrete graphics (GT 240) so the 6150 LE doesn't get much work to do. That and desktops are a lot less likely to suffer from heat related issues than a laptop

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I've got an HP convertible notebook/tablet, but it has an AMD HD 3200 based chipset and works fine.

My desktop on the other hand is an HP with the Nvidia 6150 LE chipset, but it also seems to be fine. Course I do use discrete graphics (GT 240) so the 6150 LE doesn't get much work to do. That and desktops are a lot less likely to suffer from heat related issues than a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.