Irate Consumer Smashes Laptop at HP Store

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Damn. Sorry about the multiple posts guys. IE was being weird when I clicked submit. I can't find how to edit/delete them here through the forums like you can on the main tomshardware.com site. If anyone knows how, let me know and I'll delete the extra posts.

DarkNight

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
My HP experience has been similar to a number of members here. The lack of training or competance of the HP support engineers here in India is pathetic. Local support is hived of to franchisee workshops that do not have adequate quality control standards.
My wife had a DV6137TX that started having a display problem. HP kept the laptop over a week and I was later told that there was a problem with the LCD (Wow my warranty exipred a 3 days prior to giving it to them!). The LCD I was told would cost Rs. 22,000 (roughly $ 200 US).
This was despite the fact that the screen was powering on (BIOS display was there but slightly blurry).
Not content I went in for a second opinion, The problem was initially fixed for Rs. 3000 (Under $ 75).
Still using the junk, though with an attached monitor.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
why do people continue to by HP laptop is a question.

I knew when I was a kid playing with these, they are the slowest, freeze all the time and ugly laptop. Just look at the spec they give you cheap parts compare to other brands. I guess their marketing is quite good. I have no problem my dell, sony vaio, and now lenovo thinkpad.

sinman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
It would be safe to say that this guy will never buy a HP product again.

Hell he even may make it his mission in life to dissuade others of buying HP products.

Awesome way to get your point across. I just love the way how composed he was, and how he even picked it up and walked to the garbage can.

Take that HP! Just stick to making Ink for out laser jets.

alabasterboy

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
BTW I was referring do dell's customer service reps from India. If you order from their business portal you get Americans & no crap ware.

conebone96

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
You can no doubt find a horror story for every manufacturer You don't want a HP go buy a Dell, oh wait they catch fire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIk5gjc5318 And Check out DellHell http://www.thisistrue.com/dellhell.html. maybe you should buy a Sony vaio, but wait their batteries explode on top of bunch of other problems http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAIO#Problems. For those who love ASUS hate to brake it to you but read some article about their problems http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=284738 and a bunch more like it. don't even get me started on IBM's lenovo which is not made by IBM any more. Bottom line is they all SUCK.

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
I agree with some other user's reports that this is not entirely HP's fault. The problem resides with nVidia. They have a bad habit of of producing chip designs with a very short life span. Not that all of their chips are bad, only certain runs of them. For some unfortunate reason they seem to be the ones that end up in consumer laptops the most. Back when they first came out with their 5xxx series DX8 parts I bought an HP laptop with a 5700 Go chipset in it. It died in under a year and then all replacement boards died in about 3 weeks. HP wouldn't lift a finger to fix the problem if you were out of warranty and if you paid to have the board replaced you were flushing your money because you would be right back where you started in 3 weeks time. So nVidia caused the problem but HP should have done better for their part. It wasn't until we class-actioned them that they actually issued a board revision using an ATI chipset. Machine has worked perfectly ever since.

So as far as I am concerned the lesson here is don't buy laptops with nVidia chips. Stick to Intel or AMD, they aren't perfect either but I think in the long run you will be happier.

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
It kept breaking because HP replaces their equipment with the same broken hardware. Just like how they had to replace my GPU 4 times in a row until I wisened up and hacked the laptop so they can stop giving me broken Nvidia GPU's that Nvidia has been saying for years the process was screwed.

lht

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
This is the problem with many big computer company. They want max profit to share holder. They want to pay for cheap labor and poor quality of hardware to use inside the computer. That is the reason when I go out to buy I usually look for what country of these devices make from. When I see that the device makes in China. Only absolute I need, then I will buy or else I want to buy the device from other country not China. China products stands for Quantity not Quality. I have many home equipment making in China does not last long. As these days you see a lot of hard drives from Hitachi, Seagates makes from China. I am absolutely stay far away from these hard drives. Hard Drives from ThaiLand or Malaysia are only one that I will buy it but not from China.

Goro

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]razzb3d[/nom]The "unknown defect" is the mainboard's northbridge. HP Pavillion DV2000, DV6000 and DV9000, as well as many other laptops that use the Nvidia 6150 chipset (NF430), nvidia 8200 or GT 102/105, have BGA balling issues. The chipsets overheat and the chips lose a pin or two, bricking the laptop. I know because i fix these things for a living.[/citation]

Not just the NB but the GPU as well, the solder comes lose on the board because of the "POS" heatsink that has a strip of copper tubing on it. The over all product is a FAIL. Horrible horrible laptops. Compaq version of the laptops is not far behind either, those fans make noise because the plastic that covers the fankeeps bending because of the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.