Iridium Has a Mysterious New Satellite Comms Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Would this allow me to have signal from my shed, where I currently get no reception, If so, I can move forward with my world domination plans!

G

take a satellite photo of your current location and post it on your facebook ........

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I can't imagine this would do very well in the consumer space. Consumers phones are becoming more about data and less about voice, and knowing what I know of hardware built 25 years ago, these satellites could in no way handle 2-5 million iphone / android users.

They might be able to handle 2 million phone only users, but with a true capacity of closer to 80k simultaneous users I would expect a lot of busy signals.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
So they are a competitor to other satellite phone companies ?

I still think that there are a LOT of people, maybe in other countries that have a less complete cell service structure that would definitely be interested in this.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I don't think we would give up iPhones and Android phones, including Angry Birds, for a world phone.
99.9% of americans don't talk to any one out of the country, proof is in how many of you actually are proficient at a second or third language and would never call any one outside of the usa more then once a month let alone weekly or daily unless it was a friend or relative deployed overseas.
99.9% of people do not need a world phone as they never ever leave their tiny small small world after all.
you just got disney rolled.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I live outside the USA.... also there are areas in the USA without reception and without phones... crazy but true. Around the world there are a lot of place like that. It might not be millions of people who want this, but I can easily envision 1 or 2 million who might be interested.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]leo2kp[/nom]Can't we at least keep the big-a$$ antennas?![/citation]
I want a pair of them so that I can strap them onto my head like mecha antennae!

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I live outside the USA.... also there are areas in the USA without reception and without phones... crazy but true. Around the world there are a lot of place like that. It might not be millions of people who want this, but I can easily envision 1 or 2 million who might be interested.[/citation]

Indeed even if there are people that only speak to each other within the borders of a country that country might not have the cell infrastructure needed actually a LOT of places are like that in the world.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I think people might not understand exactly what these devices do. Iridium makes not just sat phones, but NSA approved secure sat phones. Their really big in the DoD, General Officers and some Colonels get Iridium phones so that they can securely communicate from any location and discuss secret squirl stuff. Companies use them for their CEOs and upper executives for the exact same reason. Of course the GO / CEO doesn't carry the phone around, their aide / personal assistance does, so the actual size much of an issue.

Now how will this translate into consumer space? I don't see the general consumer market as having a burning need for ultra secure personal communicators.

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom] I don't see the general consumer market as having a burning need for ultra secure personal communicators.[/citation]

Drug dealers could use them or Someone with too many mistress'? Maybe they'll prepaid plans...

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'd imagine that over half the world would be interested in a cheap, stable satellite phone service, given their undeveloped infrastructure.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]they never ever leave their tiny small small world after all.you just got disney rolled.[/citation]

I'm not sure about you, but I don't really think it's correct to say that the USA is a small world considering it's size. It's just not an accurate statement.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
+1 palladin ;)
But on a more serious note, as someone already said that data services are just as important as well, and that may mean they will only appeal to a very small segment of the market at best.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
This had to come up at a time when the world was getting worried about the space debris falling to earth and feel a need to clear it up.
So the jack in the box pops out all of a sudden saying , "Watch it!!! You can bring down the rest, don't touch my 81"
Fear does rule the world. So since 99.9 % people in the US don't talk to people Overseas that often, as someone mentioned here earlier..... doesn't it ring a bell or raise any eyebrows as to who this company is offering it's lines too??? Covert subversive outfits????????? The terror network??? Bad boys in Black??????? My goodness...... no wonder it took so long to get to the Ladens..... going thru 81 sats must have been time consuming I guess.....
Yeah, and for all the chaps screaming that the Big Brothers watching you...... here are your eyes in the sky......
81 Sats for 25 Million..........308642 $ Approx per Sat ( hey I could get a few)..... Just Google the cost of launching a satellite.... and you'll realize that the world of corporates and government really take us for fools........ let alone the cost of the satellite

Status
Not open for further replies.