Is a DAC all I need? [HyperX Cloud with onboard audio]

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013
I have recently purchased a HyperX Cloud headset but Im currently ''bottlenecking'' it with my cheap onboard mobo audio which uses the Realtek ALC892 codec.

I want to buy the DAC linked here: http://hificorner.nl/hifi/dac/cyp-au-d2

Will this one actually work or is it not even compatible? I don't have any knowledge in the slightiest when it comes to DAC's. I don't need an amp by the way, my headset is loud enough.

50-60 euros is my budget. If it helps I have a Gigabyte H81M-HD3 motherboard.

ttimberlak443

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Just pick up a cheap sound card if you really want to improve the sound quality. You may get some noticeable improvement or you may not. Something like a Xonar DG or DGX would be more than enough for what you're trying to do.

You don't need a DAC for those headsets. Your mobo sound quality is fine, it isn't like these are very critical sounding headphones for music. Game audio in general is low/mid quality. No need for a soundcard, but I prefer Creative soundcards because that is their total business not a very small side project like ASUS.

If your ''bottlenecking'' it, it could be just your setting in windows and the Realtek settings. I would explore those options more.

Happy listening, the Prisoner...

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013

Good audio reviewers have already said that this headset will do really well with a DAC and is not worth for use with just an onboard audio system.

I think it does make a significant difference.

Well, it's your money. If the onboard chip is having problems, then a DAC or soundcard is a good solution.

"makes a significant difference" It might be able to make a difference, but I would be surprised if you can hear the difference. Once again, unless you're using these headsets for high-quality music(why you would want to listen to high-quality music on these headsets is another story). Gaming audio is not even close to high quality.

You may even hear a perceived difference when you get the DAC thinking, "I just got a DAC!, it must sound better."

If you're going to spend the money on a DAC, you might as well get a soundcard that at least offers more for the same money, at least in terms of gaming.

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013

I understand that a sound card is a better investment. I've also seen someone above mention the Xonar DG. I don't necessarily want a DAC. I just want equipment that will use my headset to its best strengths rather than limit it.

So this sound card will do the trick? If so I'll order one quite soon.

That should work. The nice thing is you get a simulated surround sound software package that is fun to play with. I couldn't tell if the Hyper headset came with a built in amp so the amp in the card will let you increase the volume. But don't play too loud it's bad for your ears! haha.

BTW, the link that you posted wasn't for a DAC but a device to convert optical to coax.

Happy listening, the Prisoner...

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
a soundcard with a headphone amp like sbz or on the cheap but not quite as good the xonar dg is a good idea. I found my soundblaster fatal1ty headset could not be pushed real loud with onboard audio. Purchasing the sbz was the best decision i have ever made, it pushes the headphones real loud without distorting, enough to give you permanent hearing damage. I also has a really good EQ that does not distort easily unlike most software eq's. Dont know if the xonar has anything like this but it is a big step up from onboard, was almost gonna get one but had the money spare to splurge for the sbz at the time.

Yah, I got a Sound Blaster Z for one of my computers because the sound chip started to flake out. I was lucky to get one for 59.00 at Amazon while the price was going up and down every 10 minutes.

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013
I stumbled upon this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rXcJuEsy0

These guys, who are experienced with audio, say that sound cards are pointless and DAC's should be your way to go. Now please, I have read reviews explaining how well a HyperX Cloud sounds. By comparable reviewers. I think Tek Syndicate mentioned the HyperX Cloud aswell. It works really well with a DAC apparently, that's what I initially heard. My sound card arrives tomorrow but now reading more into it and watching that video I have my doubts. Should I go with a proper DAC instead? Are sound cards really useless?

The sound card I ordered is a Xonar DS. Is there a good DAC around that price I could try instead? I can just send it back if It's really that useless as explained in that video.

HyperX Cloud review here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeoyJBwHc3U

Watch it from 6:00

ttimberlak443

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

There is no doubt they sound good for a gaming headset. An actual set of headphones will almost always sound better.

As far as a DAC vs Sound Card goes, they are literally doing the same thing. DAC stand for Digital-to-Analog Converter. Guess what a sound card is doing? Converting a digital signal to an analog signal. The only real differences are a DAC is external (which can help eliminate some computer noise that you may get otherwise, although I have not found that to be an issue unless you're using your front panel audio) and a sound card internal (and they generally offer virtual 5.1 and/or 7.1 surround sound).

A DAC is also (most likely) going to cost you far more than a sound card. Don't get me wrong, DAC's are better, but you aren't going to notice with the headset that you're using. DAC's are more designed for high-end audiophile grade equipment where you are more likely to notice the little things that a sound card might do, like give slight electronic noise.

If you're really set on a DAC then nobody here is stopping you. Those of us that are suggesting a sound card just see more sense in a sound card for your specific situation. Either solution is most likely going to be better than the on-board audio that you're using now.

EDIT: In addition to this, I just saw that you ordered a Xonar DS. The DS does not offer a headphone amp (which is probably what would give you the most noticeable improvement over on-board). The DG or DGX are the cheaper ASUS sound cards that offer decent headphone amps.

The HyperX Cloud's have an impedence of 60 ohms. This means an amp is not needed to drive them, but you can notice a benefit from having an amp. And no, an amp does not only make them louder. In addition to being able to get louder, you generally get a fuller sound since they are getting all of the power that they require.

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013

And partly because of the headphone amp the DG seems to drive headphones better than the DS does, I get it. I will return the DS and get a DG instead. I'm happy I didn't have to unbox the DS. This seems like the best budget efficient option.

Thanks.

All these cards have a headphone amp, it's just some have better amps to drive headphones that require more ohms. RCF is using a mid priced headset not something like this that needs a 250 ohm amp. http://www.amazon.com/Koss-Pro4AAAT...=8-1&keywords=koss+pro4aaa&pebp=1418489004977.

Usually, headphones with an impedance under 80 Ohms or so do not need a better amp. The specs are a little misleading because some say they have a headphone amp while others say they don't. They all have amps at least all of the current Creative soundcards do and I know the DS does also.

Nothing wrong with the DG for a budget soundcard.

ttimberlak443

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

It is my understanding that the DS has a line out. It will still power headphones, but having a decent amp will still help. Might as well have something that you know will drive the headset to the fullest of their ability.