Is an Antivirus necessary on an Android Smartphone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevigo

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
I think,if you stick to Google play shop (androids),and dont download anything else from anywhere,you should be fine.Just to be on the safe side,I have Webroots Secure Anywhere free on my Sony Z5.That way I think I am covered.You wont feel its there.

Erin1212

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
I have tried using antivirus apps for my tab and my cellphone as well, but have never detected any problem. So I uninstalled already :)

Monica_14CompTech

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
Lets just say this; it's always better to be safe than sorry! These days, it's best, just to be on the safe side! Any FREE Antivirus works, no need to spend money if you don't have to.

Richard Olga

Estimable
Jun 15, 2015
Actually, nowadays viruses are less effective than less ram or memory. If you are running with 2gb or more ram in your android phone than I am sure you don't need an antivirus. But for me, a clean master is enough to take care of my 1 GB ram android phone. Every day I just need to clean up cache memory, cool up the phone when gets heat up.

Real_Gunz

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Honestly, it is up to you BUT if you look in your settings then you will find that you can tell your phone to warn you of any serious threats. Other than that, I don't use an antivirus.

itzActiv

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Android doesn't need an antivirus system unless you're downloading software not from the Google Play Store such as APKs. Google now-a-days sends a Security Patch to your device (If it's running 5.0.1 or Higher) to keep it secure. However, if you're running an outdated version of the Android OS, (4.4 or below) I recommend Malwarebytes.

rabbisk

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
If you download apps without play store, you can use antivirus. But I seem antivirus is not necessary for android device,

Sophie Evan

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
I had an Antivirus when I downloaded a lot on my phone, but it started to slow my phone, I deleted an Antivirus and had to clear my phone. After that I don't have an Antivirus. But if you download many files, I think it's better to have one.

Mystery95

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Yes. As more and more adware are increasing, an antivirus app is necessary to keep the junk out of your system.

melbincresto

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
As of now, no we don't, as the "virus community", if you will, hasn't yet released viruses on a large scale for Android. But it is a given that in the future, viruses attacking the Android system will definitely be made - its status as the most used mobile OS ensures that. Just remember that the sole reason that viruses are abundant for Windows only, and not for Mac and Linux, is the fact that Windows is still the overwhelming choice of OS around the world, hence making the time invested by the virus-maker worthwhile.

Most viruses rely first and foremost on the user's complicity. Most of them can't just function on there own. For example, you have to download an infected email, or install an infected software to really allow the virus to function - you get the gist. To be fair, Android is a much more tightly-knit OS than Windows, as performing even very small tasks requires the user's permissions. Also, the apps run in a sandbox, separated from the system, so there is a very low chance of infected apps ruining the system. But there are a hell lot of ingenious coders out there, who would certainly find ways to infect your phone.

Coolride88

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017

Hope that one day, Android will have their own out of the box antivirus, that come with Android OS, similar to the Windows Defender for the Microsoft Windows.

TDeal52

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
My thoughts go with it being recommended....I use Trend Micro, but I have used AVG, Avast and several others....all do a decent job, but they do slow down your device in some manner.

reynalynmo

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017

Yes I think so. It will ensure to block off viruses.

joserichardson

Prominent
Sep 28, 2017
If you are using an Android smartphone, it's necessary to install an antivirus app. But choose a one with reputation and legacy for protection of users. Beware there are lots and lots of fake antivirus apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.