Solved! Is Avast/antivirus really needed on Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Avast is probably the worst one you can have.
Comodo is very good firewall/anti virus and it is free
Windows 10 has a great antivirus built in, but I would never ever install Avast on any computer.

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Rename any file in your computer as "crack.exe" and Windows Defender will probably delete it. It's that stupid.
Norton internet Security had become that way and I stopped using it many many years ago.

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
The reason I am against Avast is my friends computer was so slow, and he had a paid version of Avast and he had been a customer for 5+ years.

Anyway, I ran antimalware ZHPCleaner and it found over 400 suspicous things as well as 3 redirects on his DNS.

Cleaned up his computer and he was good to go, he then uninstalled the software I put on it (comodo) went back to Avast because he was still under their subs, and got infected AGAIN!

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017

Hi there, we're concerned about this. First of all, Avast is very light on system resources and won't slow things down. Do you know the specs of your friend's PC and if they met the minimum requirements? Were there any other problems present on the PC?

For customers with an upgraded version of Avast, like in this situation, you can work directly with our technical team if you ever have any issues at all. We're here to help! https://support.avast.com/en-us

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

When I uninstalled it, I left a long comment as to why it was uninstalled, and thus you should already have this information from a very disappointed customer. To which no one probably read, as no one ever emailed back.

So as well as inadequate protection, the entire system was hijacked to hell, avast said everythins was OK, it was fixed using FREE Zhpcleaner and Comodo.

As said above, uninstalled, left the comments and reasons why, no one got back which just proves even more, that you don't care about customer satisfaction and leaving comments no one read.

racksmith101

Proper
Apr 20, 2018
Personally I use comodo firewall, AVG free antivirus and malwarebytes. Used these on every system I have owned over the last 15 years and they have kept all my systems clean and free from nasties.

unplanned bacon

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

I don't think it's using many resources, but the scheduled scan no longer works. Just never starts on its own

Nov 7, 2018
I tried to remove a virus from my PC using windows defender but it didn't work for me so i downloaded avast antivirus and it removed virus from my laptop and increased the speed in just half an hour of processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.