Is Capcom Trying to Thwart Used Games Sector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
So what if I like replaying the game more than the ammount of blank save slots but purchased the game new? This is crazy....

G

Don't these companies realize that they get more money up front because us consumers plan on trading it in? Imagine if you couldn't trade in PS3 or XBox games that cost you $60 brand new, would you pay $60 for them? maybe a few, but you wouldn't buy as many.

This is what happened to the computer game genre, they kept putting more and more limitations on it because of "piracy" and all they ended up doing was killing the ability to sell them used, which means even less people are buying computer versions unless its a must have. And now most big companies are trying to charge $60 for the computer versions as well.

I am fine with no resale option if you drop the price to $30 for everyone, LOL thats basically what it is now, person buys it new for $60, sells it for $30, so you end up having two people paying $30 each for the game. thats all they are worth to us, $25-$30, not $60 and we own it for life!

qhoa1385

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Well look like Capcom is asking for a visit from lulzboat... just saying
This bs is the reason why piracy, jailbreaking, hacking, modding are still around...
Although I support the developers for their hard works, and I love Street Fighter, but they and Ubisoft need to stop screwing with customers

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
That's a stupid idea. I mean from their point of view they will make more money, but from our point of view it hurts replay-ability.

qhoa1385

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
[citation][nom]MakoShark[/nom]I am fine with no resale option if you drop the price to $30 for everyone, LOL thats basically what it is now, person buys it new for $60, sells it for $30, so you end up having two people paying $30 each for the game. thats all they are worth to us, $25-$30, not $60 and we own it for life![/citation]

Agreed
or like let's say mini game like "Angry birds" for mobile phone, can't trade, can't resell, save game doesn't sync online, but it only cost like what? $1 $2? and people don't mind paying that

If they were to charge customer a hefty price, then give customer the contents that worth their money
I mean if they were to charge legit customers $60 for something that is worse than pirated version (Free, transferable, "modded save function (or whatever)"), well then no wonder they can't sell the freaking game

absolutely agreed

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
after being burned by buying games outright, i refuse to buy a game before i try it out. if they keep dumbing down the games, then pull this crap, then they deserve all the bad sales that they get. keep shooting yourself in the foot, gaming industry!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]MakoShark[/nom]Don't these companies realize that they get more money up front because us consumers plan on trading it in? Imagine if you couldn't trade in PS3 or XBox games that cost you $60 brand new, would you pay $60 for them? maybe a few, but you wouldn't buy as many.This is what happened to the computer game genre, they kept putting more and more limitations on it because of "piracy" and all they ended up doing was killing the ability to sell them used, which means even less people are buying computer versions unless its a must have. And now most big companies are trying to charge $60 for the computer versions as well.I am fine with no resale option if you drop the price to $30 for everyone, LOL thats basically what it is now, person buys it new for $60, sells it for $30, so you end up having two people paying $30 each for the game. thats all they are worth to us, $25-$30, not $60 and we own it for life![/citation]

personally i refuse to ever sell my games no matter how bad they are.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
It's easy to get them to stop this BS: don't buy the game. Plain and simple. The business they lose will encourage them to change their ways.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
EVERYONE READ THIS PART BECAUSE YOU MAY NOT KNOW IT.

capcom is a japanese company, in japan, because of nintendo, its illegal to rent games in ANY way shape or form.

the way i see it is this is less of a used game sale ploy, and more of an anti rent model considering game fly offers 3ds games.

that said, capcom also sold us content on disc, they are holding the new mega man legends hostage (selling beta, and judging if its worth developing from that) and so on...

i honestly think capcom should lose all its licences for this crap, and let someone else who knows how to make people happy make the damn games.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]It's easy to get them to stop this BS: don't buy the game. Plain and simple. The business they lose will encourage them to change their ways.[/citation]
but than they dont make the games you want because corporate mentality is "people dont like this game, dont make more" apposed to "people dont like the s#$^ we pulled with this game, lets patch it to fix it so they buy it"

a-nano-moose

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
If you can't resell your old games then just let the new games sit on the shelf for about 6 months until the prices drop to a reasonable level.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
BOO HOO!! They make a game, set a price based on projected sales, then sell it. After that it's not there game. If people want to sell there game, then it's there game to sell, Period.

Other reasons profit's fail:
1. The game sucks (#1 for lack of sales IMO)
2. lack of advertising, people don't know it's out there.
3. The game is glitchy
4. Game is over priced - People can't afford it or don't think it's worth it
5. Developers have a bad rep with the buyers
6. Game has bad reviews (See #1)
7. Developers implementing stupid security systems (securom) that P.O. customers causing people to avoid future products
8. companies over hyping games disappointing fans
9. improper game design for a fan base, for instance pc games being ported from xbox 360, causing bad sales (see Crysis 2).
10. Bad customer support, the game doesn't work right, so instead of addressing customers or fixing via a patch, the developers just forget about it and move on to the next game.
11. No demo's to test run the game and see if you like it.

What developers want to believe:
1. All hackers fault, yes it's a problem, but if your game sucks, then hacking it isnt the problem with sales is it?

2. Customer reselling games. Projecting profit incomes shouldn't include games that are resold. Most of the time people who sell there games do it because they need the money, or because they want to use the money to buy a new game.

Just FYI from a customer to a developer, if any games come out that on any systems I own, wii, pc, or whatever, that effect game replayability, or game saves, "I WON"T BUY THEM". So in your next study of why your profits are failing, you can add that piece of information in there.

Rant = over

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Oops, almost forgot, one more, hacking is a problem, well, not so much a problem as in "Piracy" but in multiplayer games, hacking is a problem. Nothing agravates me more then buying a game just to see that in-game hacking is destroying the multiplayer experience and the developers are doing nothing to fix it. Especially when the hacks right after the game is released.
Major problem IMO.
That could also eat into profit, because if the developers don't fix it and make the game harder to hack into, then why would I buy a future release from them?
Just saying..

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Being mainly a PC gamer, I barely ever buy games used. That said, the most i've paid for a game in recent memory was 35 for portal 2 a couple months ago because it was new on amazon for that price.

I don't mind paying around that much for a new game, but shit 60 bucks? For the cost of 3 or 4 new games i could upgrade a component on my PC, or buy a console. Seriously, the only game i plan to get at full price is going to be Skyrim, that's 5 months away and, if past games are any indication, will be fully worth 60 bucks. is 10 hours of fun (standard game these days with no/bad MP) worth 6 dollars an hour for fun.

There are better things to blow 60 bucks on IMHO. I like games, but seriously, a standard 60 dollar price tag for "Fighting King II" for 360 or "Madden (insert year)" is stupid. Price a game by quality, not by MSRP "everything is $60"

Status
Not open for further replies.