Is deeply discounted OEM software legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tluxon

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2002
I keep seeing the same ads over and over for OEM software at deep discounts. Is that kind of software legit or is there a pretty big risk that it won't validate/register with the provided product key?

Thanks!

Tim

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Grey area.

Many times it is volume licensing disks with a CD key. Other times its last year's version. Sometimes its OEM disks from a store-bought PC or something like that. There's shysters in every industry, and this niche seems to attract more than its share, so it's iffy. I've done it a couple times for certain things and have been lucky, but I only use it as a last resort, and I spent considerable time searching out more reputable places.

The legality of the software may be suspect, depending on lots of things I don't know about. I have my doubts about the legality of the volume license disc & keys, but they keep harping on how its perfectly legal. Maybe it is under a certain clause of the volume agreement (which I haven't read, but there's usually loopholes in any legal document), but I don't know.

Mike.

riser

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
OEM normally comes with a purchased PC. You don't buy the OEM copy at the store. If they're distributors, it's probably legit. If they're just someone who came across 43 copies and they're selling them really cheap, it's possible they're stolen, but working, yet illegal copies.

When you buy a computer from Dell, you get an OEM copy of Windows and the license key.
When you buy from a computer shop, you get an OEM.

When you buy in the Store, you buy a licensed version.

OEM is only good for the computer that it's installed on and sold as a single piece, whereas a licensed version can be installed on any computer and still be legit.

shaun

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
There's the question of whether or not the OEM software in question is stolen, but assuming it's not, is it legit to buy OEM software without also buying hardware?

I asked this question to VIOSoftware after the OEM software I bought from them said "for distribution with new hardware only", or something similar on the CD's. They said it's the vendor's responsibility to make sure they are also selling hardware along with the OEM software. So, the legality of the sale may be suspect, but if it ever comes down to an audit, I can point at VIOSoftware and not be concerned with liability... At least that's what VIOSoftware says. Can anybody confirm this?

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
There's the question of whether or not the OEM software in question is stolen, but assuming it's not, is it legit to buy OEM software without also buying hardware?

I asked this question to VIOSoftware after the OEM software I bought from them said "for distribution with new hardware only", or something similar on the CD's. They said it's the vendor's responsibility to make sure they are also selling hardware along with the OEM software. So, the legality of the sale may be suspect, but if it ever comes down to an audit, I can point at VIOSoftware and not be concerned with liability... At least that's what VIOSoftware says. Can anybody confirm this?

well if you buy OEM hardware, what does this mean for you? same thing with software

andet1

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
when I ordered OEM software, I expected a Software pack and a serial number.
What viosoftware sent me was a OEM backup.

Now that's illegal! and I sent it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.