Solved! Is Drivermax Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al92

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if this is the right section; figured it relates to security!

I've been using DriverMax for home and work PCs for around a year. I've found it really useful as long as I keep an eye on what it's trying to do. However, I am a little suspicious of it as it seems to run permanently in the background even if you disable its' ability to run on startup, and click the X. The only way to stop it seems to be to force it to close through Task Manager.

Just wondered whether it's actually a safe piece of software to have on, or whether there's a more reputable one I should try?

Solution

The most reputable one of those is called NONE.
There is no reason to continuously monitor and mess around with hardware drivers.
And even less reason to let some software do it for you, and potentially screw it up.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

I'm not sure why you are using this in the first place. Dirvermax tends to install the wrong drivers for chipsets and whatnot most of the time. It has been criticized in the past for send data that it collects and has been flagged as adware multiple times. I personally would not use it or recommend anyone use it.

USAFRet

Illustrious

The most reputable one of those is called NONE.
There is no reason to continuously monitor and mess around with hardware drivers.
And even less reason to let some software do it for you, and potentially screw it up.

Solution

al92

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks all. Will get rid of it. We've been using it to pick up the right drivers where we've had to install blank copies of Windows 10 without model-specific drivers onto a machine, but I'd rather not take the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.