Is Google Glass Causing Headaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joneb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Did these people have the screen on all these times? If so why? Im not an Oxford Don but I can work out that's not going to be good for anyone.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Just turn the darn thing off when not really needed. Use common sense, people. You don't expect to feel peachy if you were staring into a screen (any screen) for many hours at a time. What made you think this will be any different?

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I can't see how not... I'm in the extreme group where even 60Hz gives me a headache. I have to build my rigs smoother (75Hz is so-so, modern rigs let me get to 144Hz which stops the headaches). It's not an FPS thing, it's a flickering thing (Florescent bulbs suck also...)Aside from all that, I couldn't use the 'glasses' just cause they are what they are. Even part time, they would give me a sure headache. I've already seen a set unfortunately. I don't know what they would do about that, I might just not be able to use it ever. No real loss though to me.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
"He said that on the first day he was wearing Glass all day long, taking them everywhere including the mall, to Starbucks, while driving and more."

"A few weeks later, he suffered through another headache after wearing Glass for eight straight hours each day."

LMFAO..... Wait wait, I think I've found the problem, and it's NOT the lack of including a warning.

It seems common sense is as uncommon as taking on some personal responsibility.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
There are so many things I wish would die already.... google glasses, apple, facebook, twitter, all social media, smartwatches, ps4 vs x1 discussions.... sure I could think of a few more things if I try.

none12345

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
"There are so many things I wish would die already.... google glasses, apple, facebook, twitter, all social media, smartwatches, ps4 vs x1 discussions.... sure I could think of a few more things if I try. "Couldn't agree more.

Attacker411

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
So, life as we know it?

Jgriff

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Just turn us into androids and give us imortallity already so our race can survive and explore space for other homes when this rock inevitably blows. Skip all this one step junk.

simonx314

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014
Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Just turn the darn thing off when not really needed. Use common sense, people. You don't expect to feel peachy if you were staring into a screen (any screen) for many hours at a time. What made you think this will be any different?
Google Glass is different because it reduces the amount of times you spend staring at screens. Mainly because Glass can almost completely eliminate the need to use your phone. Glass can perform most of the functions you would normally do on your phone, but much faster because of it's hands-free interface and heads-up display. I wear Glass for 12 hours a day, but the screen is only active for a few seconds at a time such as when reading a text or checking the weather. In total the display is on for only a few minutes a day. I spend much less time on my mobile now that I have replaced my hand-held with a wearable.Even if you wanted to watch a movie on Glass the battery wouldn't make it. Glass is not designed for consuming hours of content, there are much better devices for consumption. I prefer tablets.

simonx314

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014
One person gets two headaches and that's enough data to establish news worthy cause and effect? If Google Glass did cause headaches wouldn't this have surfaced nine months ago, when the Google Glass Explorer program started? All the comments I have seen on social media from other Google Glass users say that no one is getting headaches. I get more eye strain from looking at my phone because my arm isn't long enough for an ideal viewing distance. Glass's display floats about two arm lengths away.

zfreak280

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
I can't see how not... I'm in the extreme group where even 60Hz gives me a headache. I have to build my rigs smoother (75Hz is so-so, modern rigs let me get to 144Hz which stops the headaches). It's not an FPS thing, it's a flickering thing (Florescent bulbs suck also...)Aside from all that, I couldn't use the 'glasses' just cause they are what they are. Even part time, they would give me a sure headache. I've already seen a set unfortunately. I don't know what they would do about that, I might just not be able to use it ever. No real loss though to me.
I'm pretty sure your headaches aren't caused from screen refresh rate. I'm also pretty sure your headaches are caused from fluorescent bulbs. Fluorescent bulbs emit a lot of light in the ultraviolet spectrum, which is harmful to your eyes and can cause headaches.

kristi_metal

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
And you should not use monitors with PWM, they add a small flicker.

KangolBlue

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014
Behind an Explorer I will say YES Google Glass does cause headaches during the first time or two use of the device. Once you adjust the Glass to that perfect fit on your face, strain on the eye goes away and it becomes almost second nature to view the display without any problems. So yes it will take some getting use to and adjusting before those issues go away.

coolitic

Honorable
May 10, 2012
If it were really causing headaches, you would think that people would find out sooner rather than so late. I think it's a rare for people then.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
It might not really effect people any differently that already get headaches, it comes down to why its causing them. It's very possible it was causing eye strain or sinus pressure leading to his headache, migraines are not always caused by those stimuli.At the end of the day its like anything else, everything in moderation.

Status
Not open for further replies.