is hibernation ok?

rahul1

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
I heard that, in case of laptops and all, upto 2 deliberate hibernations in a month is good towards the health of the laptop. Is this true?

Solution
It does not hurt the unit in anyway.

Hibernate is just sleep, but with the data on the hard drive so that no power is needed. This means that on startup that data is just read into memory and the system resumes whatever it was doing before the hibernation.

Windows 8's quick boot is based on hibernation in fact(shut down on 8 is logoff + hibernate).

I used to use hibernate all the time when I had a laptop for school since it was a good way to leave things open(saved first) over the time between classes without killing the battery.

Andy11466

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
TBH I've always just shut my laptop (puts it into sleep "hibernation" for a couple years now, it still works fine.

I would shut it off occasionally (once a month) for an update or something.

nukemaster

Distinguished
It does not hurt the unit in anyway.

Hibernate is just sleep, but with the data on the hard drive so that no power is needed. This means that on startup that data is just read into memory and the system resumes whatever it was doing before the hibernation.

Windows 8's quick boot is based on hibernation in fact(shut down on 8 is logoff + hibernate).

I used to use hibernate all the time when I had a laptop for school since it was a good way to leave things open(saved first) over the time between classes without killing the battery.

Solution