Is it a good time to buy VR ready Alienware 15r2 for around 2000$

mohan_18

Estimable
Feb 3, 2016
hey guys
i have been waiting for a price drop for alienware 15r2, is it a good time to buy?? or wait for few more months as the VR came into picture most of the high end laptops need to refresh their hardware.
I have read online that there were no new lines coming out from Intel or Nvidea any sooner, so is there any chance for existing models to go cheaper because the refreshed models will obviously cost high. So please give me your suggestions on this.
my budget was around 1600-1900$ for the high end model.

Solution
honestly, all we really have right now are reccomendations for hardware. we dont have finished products, or a lot of media to test on them. and honestly, getting the amount of horsepower you'd want for a decent experience in a laptop is going to be expensive. a quick google showed me models like that with a 970m or 980m...not really sure you're going to get a great experience out of them. not with the requirements for the oculus being a desktop grade 970.
plus, there should be some considerable upgrades in gpus later this year, along the time all the vr sets start hitting the market. hopefully that will help drive down the prices on current models.
thats my opinion at least.

cosmoji

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
honestly, all we really have right now are reccomendations for hardware. we dont have finished products, or a lot of media to test on them. and honestly, getting the amount of horsepower you'd want for a decent experience in a laptop is going to be expensive. a quick google showed me models like that with a 970m or 980m...not really sure you're going to get a great experience out of them. not with the requirements for the oculus being a desktop grade 970.
plus, there should be some considerable upgrades in gpus later this year, along the time all the vr sets start hitting the market. hopefully that will help drive down the prices on current models.
thats my opinion at least.

Solution

julius_10

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
I agree with cosmoji in addition, I don't think VR will run smoothly on that Alienware 15r2. If you really must have the VR on a laptop wait later this year or a year or two to make sure you get the best performance out of it. If you really want a full VR experience as soon as Oculus comes out this Sept. I advice to update/build your own PC with the spec that is needed.