Is it a virus?

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
A few months ago I had a computer technician remove my symantec anti virus saying it had a bundled fire wall that was interfering with me networking a printer. I installed Avast which I heard is a resonable alternative to commeercial anti-virus. On installation, it found a Trojan. A week ago as I transferred game files to my seconf hard drive it recognized a second (or the same trojan) and lawst night i ran a full scan and it found 2 more. In 5 years I may have found 1 virus with Symantec. Am I unlucky and just picked up something new? Is Avast giving me false alarms? Was symantec undersensitive.

On a related topic, the past fe wweeks when I go into sleep mode Windows asks me to restart/shut down to install updates. I have autoupdate set to notify me if it downloads windows updates. I did update Window's mediaplayer to allow my daughter to get movies off of iTunes. Could that do it or could this be virus behavior. I haven't seen it for several days-maybe it's innocent...
Thanks for any help.

Need Help A Lot

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
ok windows asking you for a auto updates is alright.and good thing you had syntamatec removed(syntmetac sucks)and so far as i see it theres nothing wrong.JUST REMOVE THE VIRUS.

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
well if you are not sure weather it is a false alert or not , you can recheck your computer using another virus scanner like kaspersky online virus scanner , it is free and you don't have to install it in your computer , it will search your computer for viruses and let you know if there's any, but it won't remove even they are virus it will able to detect them anyway.
here 's the link
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
You should check this forum out for help. These guys really know what they are talking about. Just tell them about your problem.

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
The folks on the Avast forums directed me to the website virustotal.com where you can upload files for multiple scans. After quarantining the file, removing the system restore point cleaned everything up.
Thanks