Is it okay to keep Malwarebytes web protection off?

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
This is a question i asked a few weeks ago and i never really got an answer so i decided to ask it again. Malwarebyts has a feature called web protection that is supposed to prevent connection to bad sites. The problem is it only prevents connection to sites that i know are safe including a speed testing site which is ridiculous. Is it okay to just leave that feature off? It usually causes more problems than it solves. Thanks!

Solution
It's common for a site to load content stored on other sites, usually advertisements. If these ads allow scripts (not just pictures), then visiting the site makes you vulnerable to what's called cross-scripting attack - the site itself may be clean, but the web page makes your browser load potentially malicious scripts from another site. That may be what is triggering Malwarebytes.

That said, I usually turn the web protection "feature" off on anti-virus and anti-malware programs. It usually causes an unacceptable slowdown to web browsing. And some of the unscrupulous anti-virus companies have even used it to gather statistics on what sites people are visiting so they can sell the info to marketers. But I run a pretty intense...
It's common for a site to load content stored on other sites, usually advertisements. If these ads allow scripts (not just pictures), then visiting the site makes you vulnerable to what's called cross-scripting attack - the site itself may be clean, but the web page makes your browser load potentially malicious scripts from another site. That may be what is triggering Malwarebytes.

That said, I usually turn the web protection "feature" off on anti-virus and anti-malware programs. It usually causes an unacceptable slowdown to web browsing. And some of the unscrupulous anti-virus companies have even used it to gather statistics on what sites people are visiting so they can sell the info to marketers. But I run a pretty intense gauntlet of ad-, script-, and cookie-blocking extensions on my browsers. If you're not running at least an ad blocker, I'd leave it on.

Solution

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Thanks! Yeah I absolutely refuse to use the internet without adblock plus so I guess I'll just leave it off