Is it possible to port forward without having a modem?

Mar 12, 2018
I tried port forwarding many times but none of it was successful
So i ended up calling my isp and he told me that i'd need to pay a huge sum/month just to have a static ip
why do i unnecessarily need to pay for a static ip?
The isp is giving me a direct ethernet connection ie just router and no modem
Do i need a modem to port forward?
and if i dont need it, then what are the steps to open a single port

If you need a static address but your IP is dynamic. You can always use a DDNS service like DYNDNS. Most routers I'm aware of allow you to configure for use of a DDNS service. That way when your public IP changes it updates the service. The service provides a static address to route traffic to your dynamic address.

If this is just port forwarding on your internal network. You just configure static IP addresses for a specific device. Change the range of DHCP addresses supplied by your router to something smaller. If it is using the entire range from x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.254 to something like x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.200. Then give your computer or device one of the open addresses, like x.x.x.10. Then forward the port to that address.

You can set the static address by MAC Address with the router. You'll need the devices MAC Address. If the device supports it. Set the IP address manually to that static address. Just don't do it with mobile devices you use on external networks.

Mar 12, 2018

Mar 12, 2018
The thing is that i want to open the port for a specific game, does the 1st para which u wrote apply for hosting a server for a game or is that only for hosting a website?
The range and everything is already set, i just added the mac address to the respective ip address but on rechecking, the port is still not open

If a game is just not communicating and you are trying to open a port. The first paragraph does not apply.

In these circumstances. When referring to a static IP Address. It means a Static IP Address within your LAN. Not from your ISP. In this case you want to follow the second paragraph and on. It is only roughly generalized. If you need more specifics I or someone else can try. But I'd need more info about your network. Such as what router you use? What about your ISP. Are they providing you with a router or just a modem? Which one? If they provide a router are you also using your own?

The 1st part is referring to directing web traffic to you. This only applies when you are hosting something (devices on the outside need to find you). Such as a game server, FTP server, web server, &c. If you are just trying to play a game. You are the client computer. The game server does not need to find you. Your game finds them.

As you are trying to play a game. Are you even sure it is a port forwarding problem? Do you use any third party Internet Security Suite? Such as Norton Internet Security, ESET Smart Security, McAfee Total Protection, &c. Anything beyond a standalone anti-virus. Anything that provides their own firewall. These security programs are notorious for fudging up a computers firewall. They block all sorts of programs which need network access.

If you are having a problem with any program connecting to the network or internet, network printer not communicating, &c. That is the first place to look. Look through it's options to disable the firewall. Then try again. If that doesn't work disable the Windows firewall (it will turn on when the third party is turned off) and try again. If it works figure out how to unblock programs in your firewall. Then turn the firewall back on and unblock the game.

Mar 12, 2018
I am using a tplink router which is provided to me by my network provider. I dont have a modem in between, it is just a direct ethernet connection to the router

and yes i know it is a port forwarding problem because previously when i had a different network provider, the port forwarding section was working. The difference between now and then was that the previous isp provided me with a modem and router through which it managed to port forward

But now since i switched to a new isp and yess new router im not able to port forward...

Dont misunderstand

Mar 12, 2018
The ending of the previous reply of mine got cut(guessing emojis are not supported xD), very sorry :(
i just meant that to say that , "Dont misunderstand xD, i really want to create a gamer server and not access one, but in order for me to do that i need the port 43210 to be open, but no matter what changes i do, it doesnt open that port. In short no one is able to access my server or access my internet.... :'( "

The model no of the tp link router is TL-WR840N
300M Wireless N Gigabit Router