Is it possible to undo a .tib restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sezzati

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
Hello,

I have a bit of a complicated situation that I don't know how to deal with. I hope you can help.

My question is whether or not I can undo a .tib restore. The details are below.

I recently restored my OS (WIN7Pro) from a .tib file (backed up in Aug. 2015) using Acronis Home 2009. The restore seemed like a reasonable solution after a Windows update caused my OS to hang on the welcome-screen indefinitely. Windows' system restore caused an error every time. I thought I was safe with a .tib restore because my documents and most of my cache files are on a separate physical drive. I neglected to remember that my MS Outlooks .pst file was on C: (it's not lost on me that in this day and age, having all my emails on my desktop's C: drive is odd).

I have lost all my emails from Aug. 2015 to Feb. 04, 2016. The .pst file that I currently have is from Aug. 2015. My thought is that if I can somehow get the disk back to the state it was in before the .tib restore, even if the OS doesn't boot, I can copy the .pst file that has all my emails up to Feb. 04, 2016, and then proceed with getting the OS working again.

I have tried Recuva and Find and Mount to either find the .pst file or the pre-.tib-restore disk structure but I have had no luck.

One thing that might be relevant is that the 500GB HD has only been formatted once (NTFS) at the time of installation. So there has only ever been one active partition on the drive + 100MB system reserve. So the .tib file from Aug. 2015 is the image of the same partition it over wrote on Feb. 05, 2016.

I appreciate any help on this.

Solution
Its been overwritten, If a deepscan can't find it then your only hope is that they are still on the email server or your email provider can restore them.
Good luck.

sezzati

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

Thanks! I guess I am out of luck. I don't leave copies of my emails on my mail server.

sezzati

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

Thanks! I guess I am out of luck. I don't leave copies of my emails on my mail server.

Status
Not open for further replies.