Is it possible to upgrade the video card in an Acer aspire 4830tg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdbump08

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 4830tg with an integrated Intel gpu and a Geforce gt540m gpu. I'd like to replace the Geforce card with something more powerful, but I can't find any info about how to do it or if it's even possible.

The motherboard is an InsydeH20, model number JM40_HR.

Thanks for any information or help.

Solution
In general, the answer to "can I upgrade my laptop's GPU" is almost always "no".

Only specific laptops, like those from Sager/Clevo, MSI, or Alienware usually have standardized upgradeable video cards (MXM), and even those are usually only their high-end 15" and 17" models.

It is possible that other brands and models might have a proprietary video designs which allow replacement, but these rarely allow "upgrade" unless the same model shipped with a superior GPU in more expensive models.

Even if a superior model existed... this is a 14" laptop from 2011. You aren't going to get much better than a 540m in there.

Given that this is an Acer 14" value-model, I sincerely doubt it.

spdbump08

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

It also has a separate geforce gt 540m. Shouldn't I be able to replace that with a gpu from the same line of cards or something?

ikaz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Pretty much nope, laptop aren't made to switch out part easy there are a few very high end laptop that have MX slots but I don't think your is and even though are very rare.

KernalPanic

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
In general, the answer to "can I upgrade my laptop's GPU" is almost always "no".

Only specific laptops, like those from Sager/Clevo, MSI, or Alienware usually have standardized upgradeable video cards (MXM), and even those are usually only their high-end 15" and 17" models.

It is possible that other brands and models might have a proprietary video designs which allow replacement, but these rarely allow "upgrade" unless the same model shipped with a superior GPU in more expensive models.

Even if a superior model existed... this is a 14" laptop from 2011. You aren't going to get much better than a 540m in there.

Given that this is an Acer 14" value-model, I sincerely doubt it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.