Is it possible to use a mini itx mobo and other desktop parts to create a laptop?

AshkanVafaee

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
The biggest drawbacks that I see for laptops is their limitations in performance. Is it possible to use a mini itx motherboard along with a desktop processor, stripped down gpu, low profile ram, and an ssd to make a laptop. I would obviously have to make a custom laptop case for it, but wouldn't it yield better performance for a decent price?

Dimensions of a mini itx motherboard (L x W) = 6.7 × 6.7 in
Dimensions of a laptop with a 15 inch display (L x W) = 15 x 11 in.

I was thinking about creating a liquid cooling system for a laptop (like the ones they have on alienware laptops) to cool the cpu, gpu, and parts of the mobo. I would be using a pci bridge to allow the stripped down gpu to sit on the same level as the mobo on the base of the laptop. I haven't fully considered how a power supply/battery would be incorporated, although I'm confident that I can find a solution. Any thoughts on this idea?

Matthew Kirk

Estimable
Oct 19, 2014
Not really, even a mini itx board would require the laptop to be extememly thick with the ram height/HDD/GPU even with a slim cpu cooler. Temps would be through the roof, and you would still need to fit in a decent power supply to make it work. Even the largest 12v batterys wouldn't be able to power it for more than an hour or two, plus it would be extremely heavy and inefficient. Your better off just getting a gaming laptop.

Markkk

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Yes and NO... the Main issues is the PSU
A PC uses 12V 5V and 3.3 Volts at various amps adapting a Battery to Power this range would be a nightmare
Using a power in-verter - most are inefficient around 80% meaning lack of true power
The Size and weight of to achieve this would just not be efficient

Hence why laptops have special components and everything about a laptop appears 1/2 as powerful as it desktop equivalent.

Even if you actually built one it be a frankenstien