Is it safe to install generic drivers on my laptop (Acer Aspire ES1 512)?

LeBronKing

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
I was wondering would it be safe to install latest version of Intel generic drivers on my laptop (Aspire ES1 512) since ones manufacturer (Acer) provides are severely outdated. I m trying to improve my frame rate in video game (Team Fortress 2). Does anyone know would installing generic Intel drivers break my laptop or not? Thanks.

Specs:
OS - Windows 8.1
CPU - Intel Celeron N2840 / 2.16 GHz
Number of Cores - Dual Core
Cache - L2 - 1 MB
64-bit Computing - Yes
Graphics Processor - Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM - 4GB DDR3L SDRAM

Solution

Your laptop does not have an Intel HD 4600 graphic core. That is restricted to 4th generation Core i3/i5/i7 desktop CPUs. The Celeron N2840 has the Intel HD (Bay Trail) graphics core. The link to the graphic...

Paul NZ

Admirable
I'm using Intel video drivers from windowsupdate on this desktop.

Because its too confusing trying to find updated drivers on the Intel site!

And the ASUS drivers (it's for onboard video), are from May 2015. The windowupdate drivers are from Nov last yr

Never had a prob with them. The video drivers are the only drivers I installed (apart from the chipset drivers).

I didnt install LAN or Audio drivers from the ASUS site. I'm using the drivers Win10 installed

Your laptop does not have an Intel HD 4600 graphic core. That is restricted to 4th generation Core i3/i5/i7 desktop CPUs. The Celeron N2840 has the Intel HD (Bay Trail) graphics core. The link to the graphic drivers above may not be compatible with your CPU's integrated graphics. The link below has the graohic drivers for your CPU. You need to filter on "Drivers" rather than "Any Download Type".

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/82103/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N2840-1M-Cache-up-to-2-58-GHz-

There are three drivers. One is for Windows 8 32-bit, and other for Windows 8 64-bit; both are version 1. The last one is for Windows 7, 8 and 10, but it's version is listed as "15.33.39.4276 (Previously Released)". That tells me the drivers for Windows 8 is the same, but Intel decided to add support for Windows 7 and Windows 10 and give it a new version # that is consistent in format with other graphic driver version numbering scheme.

Laptop manufactures typically limit customers to installing graphics drivers from their own website because they customize the drivers to reduce power consumption to prolong battery life. Download the zip version of the drivers. You can attempt to run the Setup.exe file, but you will likely get the warning message stating something similar to "Your laptop does not meet the requirements". Instead, you will have to install the drivers manually. The is a file called Installation_Readme which gives you instructions on how to install the drivers manually.

You need to scroll down until you see the section called 'Microsoft Windows* "Have Disk" Installation'. Those are the instructions you need to follow if the laptop does not allow you to install the drivers with the Setup program. Keep in mind that the drivers is only version 1.

Solution