Is it safe to remotely connect to another desktop?

Navitus

Commendable
May 7, 2016
I'm in the process of building a PC for someone to replace one that's about 10 years old and has Windows Vista. They want me to transfer their pictures to the new one. I could do it locally when I bring the PC to them, but it would be better if I could do it now. Are there any good free programs that will allow me to do this? I've never done a lot with remote connections before.

Also, since the other person has Windows Vista, is it even safe to connect to the PC via the internet to download pictures from their computer? Since the OS is no longer supported, would I be at a risk of viruses due to being connected to an unsupported PC? Their antivirus also refuses to update due to the OS no longer being supported.

Thank you!

Solution
Team Viewer should be good! It is end to end encrypted, so it will be just you and the other persons PC connected. As long as the version of T/V on the Vista machine will talk to your one (should be the newest v.12) As long as you have a good firewall (not that i think you run any risk of infection just because the other PC's OS is outdated), all of this will be fine.
Just check and see what the limitations of file size there are on T/V before you try and send any files that are too big.

Good luck!
K.
Team Viewer should be good! It is end to end encrypted, so it will be just you and the other persons PC connected. As long as the version of T/V on the Vista machine will talk to your one (should be the newest v.12) As long as you have a good firewall (not that i think you run any risk of infection just because the other PC's OS is outdated), all of this will be fine.
Just check and see what the limitations of file size there are on T/V before you try and send any files that are too big.

Good luck!
K.

Solution