Is It Still Safe for Businesses to Use Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

web11

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
If you are still using XP for your business then you deserve to be hacked. And yeah I know some people will say the MUST use XP because they still use old software but that's not a good excuse anymore, if your software developer company still doesn't have an updated version that will work with Win7 then you should migrate to something else with better support.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
You obviously have never been self employed living paycheck to paycheck. I watched my father do it working 12 to 16 hours a day. The cost of software isn't a torrent site for an office system so unless you are willing to fork over $1000+ to each and every business person in the nation (or world) running XP, maybe you should try living in their shoes.

permanoob

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Windows 7 has been out for almost 5 years. If they haven't been able to eek out enough money to buy a new computer, or buy a copy of Windows 7, in the last ~5 years, they might want to consider switching to a new profession.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
No, but I have. My father has, and still is. There is no excuse not to be done with Windows XP, none. If you value security, then you will make it a priority. If you don't, then you will be hacked and your information sold on the internet. It's that simple. Anyone not upgraded by this point deserves it.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
It is safe cause Windows is not safe anyways otherwise we wouldn't have Tuesday Patch every week. Just have a good Antivirus and Firewall and don't use IE and XP is good to go.

ahnilated

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
"As a result, the most up-to-date OS usually takes up more memory and requires faster processors than its predecessors in order for users to take full advantage of its advanced capabilities. "Don't you mean more bloated and with more memory leaks so it requires more of a system to run it? When XP was released it had 63,000 known bugs in it. Shall we guess on the newer OS's?

darrenn

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014
What about using reboot restore rx? Would that work? Or would you end up rebooting every five minutes?

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
It is safe cause Windows is not safe anyways otherwise we wouldn't have Tuesday Patch every week. Just have a good Antivirus and Firewall and don't use IE and XP is good to go.
False. An AV can only really work within the bounds of the operating system. Many won't even support XP any longer, and the fact is you can't build a stable building on a cracked foundation.Do you not understand how incredibly stupid it is to say Windows is not safe anyway and therefore you should not upgrade? The difference is a boat flooding and taking more holes, while other MS operating systems are programmed to be more secure at a base level - and unlike XP, they're still being patched.Seriously, I know this is ranting, but why do people say something so appallingly ill-thought out? Simple, they don't know what they're talking about. XP is far less secure than newer versions of Windows, and it isn't getting patched to boot. You put two and two together.

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
"As a result, the most up-to-date OS usually takes up more memory and requires faster processors than its predecessors in order for users to take full advantage of its advanced capabilities. "Don't you mean more bloated and with more memory leaks so it requires more of a system to run it? When XP was released it had 63,000 known bugs in it. Shall we guess on the newer OS's?
Well, let's see here - hardware has improved substantially and therefore it's not bloat - the OS can take better advantage of it. Relative to the hardware available, I would contend that Windows 7 is much lighter than XP.That first bit was kind of opinion, the second is cold, hard fact. Ever heard of something called "Learning"? I doubt MS has replicated many of the bugs in XP in coding something like 7 or 8. Plus, If XP was a buggy piece of crap, wouldn't it go to reason that you should be using one that is still being patched and built to be more resistant?

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
The customers I've worked with that will keep some XP systems are doing it because of 3rd party drivers for hardware, not software. They made a product with an older technology and they won't support 64bit without a substantial investment. In most cases though you can go to either Win 7/8 32bit and things will still work. If it were just the cost of a new PC and new OS that's a no brainer.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
You obviously have never been self employed living paycheck to paycheck. I watched my father do it working 12 to 16 hours a day. The cost of software isn't a torrent site for an office system so unless you are willing to fork over $1000+ to each and every business person in the nation (or world) running XP, maybe you should try living in their shoes.
I don't know where you have been getting your numbers but its nowhere near that for a windows license. Depending which channel you use you can easily get a copy downloaded between $50 and $200 depending on the version you want. BTW those are for Windows 8, Windows 7 licenses and computers are just way too expensive.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Eek out enough money? Some small business' invested in multi-user application licenses that exceeded $12,000+ per user and the cost to upgrade that license into Windows 7 is even more. Maybe mega-corps can scrape up that cheddar easily but a small business owner is likely to find a work-around such as moving XP machines off the WAN to continue using them.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I still have to support Windows 3.11 and windows 98 because of some very expensive hardware that is attached to these machines that will not run on Windows XP, even though these machines can connect to the internet I have not seen any virus problems with them. Hopefully it will be the same for Windows XP.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Q: "Is it still safe for Businesses to use Windows XP?" A: Not if those machines are connected to a network.
The problem with that blanket statement answer is that no OS are 100% safe connected to a network. User error is still a probability factor independent of OS choice. Mozilla is still supporting XP and far safer than IE outside of Java and maybe flash as well to a lesser extent which affect other OS's as well.

Kman9637

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014
I know it's outdated and yes I have updated, but too many businesses and offices use it. Leaving no support to banks and offices isn't a very good idea. Please sign here bit.do/winxp it'll only take a second and help 30 percent of PC users

indian-art

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Stay safe with Linux.There is a very good chance Linux OS will run well with older hardware with lower specsSwitch to the free, safe, secure & awesome OS: www.ubuntu.com/download Its the worlds most popular free OS. It has free upgrades & security updates. It has a free office suite that comes standard along with other great apps/programs.For those who like the Windows look, I would recommend: www.kubuntu.com & for older computer with lower specs www.xubuntu.com or http://lubuntu.net Or try Linux Mint: http://linuxmint.comBecause the Linux option is free & now so easy (user friendly) one must give it a try. You have so much to gain.

zac6x9

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
For $100 on ebay you can pick up a windows 7 box with a valid COA chances are it will be faster than the xp box you are currently using that is an easy fix for the don't know and don't cares, The one I got had an 7 pro sticker which may help with some of the folk with technical problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.