Is it worth buying older movies on Bluray?

paw17

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Hello all,
During the recent boxing week sales you can find a lot of older movies, 2001, total recall, die hard etc. etc. on bluray. These movies were filmed way before HD was even thought of. Is it worth buying these movies over just utilising the upconverting on DVD's I already own?
Thanks.

lordsmurf

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
35mm film holds more resolution than the DVD allowed for. If properly cleaned and filtered, it can make for nice HD images.

Just don't expect to be "blown away" by quality, as ads might make it seem. The improvement is somewhat marginal most times, and unless your screen is at least 55" or more, you can't see the detail anyway.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
^ +1. I have a bunch of BD versions of the Terminator & other "Ahnold" movies that I bought because I originally had VHS tape copies but not DVD. Comparing a few of them to the Netflix rental DVD version, there really isn't much difference esp. when using an upconverting DVD player.

Newer BD movies such as The Dark Knight are much more impressive on BD format than DVD, since the color and clarity are visibly better, not to mention the features available on BD compared to DVD.

That said, the system is only as strong as the weakest link so you need to have a good TV and audio system to get the full BD experience.