Is it worth it to upgrade my RAM?

Steamrolled

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Get the 2x4 DDR3 Kit... 1x4 would increase your RAM to 6GB.. 1x8 would be all you can use (computer max is 8GB) andsome computers have issues with a single stick, so better not tempt bad luck. So, 2x4 is the better option and 8GB in dual channel is much better than 6GB, or 8GB in single channel...

8GB should help substantially in multitasking but you should also or first scan for virus or malware and do some system cleanup because 4GB and a 2.2Ghz Quad Core should do well on moderate to not so moderate multitasking... and unless you're doing heavy multitasking and/or your system is having issues, you shouldn't be having such problems.

Steamrolled

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014
@Chicano

I did several scans with different applications and picked up nothing but a few PUPs, When I have too many programs open or one that hogs up a lot of memory things tend to hang. I also do a little bit of gaming on here as well.

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) may seem harmless but run in the background and use CPU and Memory, so that may be part of the problem. You can check the taskmanager and see which program takes up the most Memory and CPU usage when the system starts to hang... and you can also check in Start / search for MSCONFIG / Startup tab / and disable unnecessary Startup programs... to release CPU and RAM usage.

The most likely cause is gaming... gaming is said to use about 6GB, so that is probably where your RAM runs short.

Steamrolled

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014
@Chicano

I removed them, I also reformatted recently and haven't installed anything I'm not familiar with. As far as I know with the help if Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool my RAM is still good which is why these resource shortages are quite peculiar. How does that RAM that I linked too look to you? It's what Newegg's RAM finder tool said would be compatible to the RAM I already have. I used that rather then searching manually not knowing if it would make a difference.