Solved! Is it worth searching for laptops with Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)

Nov 24, 2020
I am on market for buying a new laptop, and want it to be useful for many years (my current one is 7-years old). Most models offer wifi 802.11ac, although some high end models do offer Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax). Is it worth limiting my choice with models with Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)?

Reactions: mary957
Solution
I was wondering if it may be important feature looking forward. From what I gathered, WiFi 6 has big advantage in crowded areas like airports. Seems to be mediocre advantage at home though. Anyone, my router is what cable company provides. Dunno if they will be upgrading it.

wifi 6 is the future and you will get better performance in a crowded area that has wifi6. and you should be able to replace the cable companies router if you want with a wifi6 one. newer devices including smartphones will be upgrading to wifi 6 so in the end, it is up to you whether or not to upgrade and get a laptop with it.

You can do a search using laptops with wifi 6 as keywords to get a list.

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
I think it does.
Actually, laptops with wi-fi 6 come with a powerful hardware properties and if you want to use it for like 6 or 7 years it's worthy.
yes and no, you can get powerful hardware without wifi6. why pay the extra cost unless planning to change out the router too within the next year or so? However, getting wifi6 could help future proof the laptop for a few years.

Nov 24, 2020
unless your home router is wifi 6 then, imo, it is not worth it.
I was wondering if it may be important feature looking forward. From what I gathered, WiFi 6 has big advantage in crowded areas like airports. Seems to be mediocre advantage at home though. Anyone, my router is what cable company provides. Dunno if they will be upgrading it.

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020

wifi 6 is the future and you will get better performance in a crowded area that has wifi6. and you should be able to replace the cable companies router if you want with a wifi6 one. newer devices including smartphones will be upgrading to wifi 6 so in the end, it is up to you whether or not to upgrade and get a laptop with it.

You can do a search using laptops with wifi 6 as keywords to get a list.

Solution
Sep 14, 2020
I am on market for buying a new laptop, and want it to be useful for many years (my current one is 7-years old). Most models offer wifi 802.11ac, although some high end models do offer Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax). Is it worth limiting my choice with models with Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)?

There are not many devices (places) for you to use ax, and if there will be for what purpose will you need all the bandwidth? I sincerely doubt that you really need it... but if in a year or two you decide that you cannot live without it... you will just by a new wireless card for 20 or so USD and there you are...

So, do not limit your choice because there is no reason...

Reactions: mary957 and Lzr000