Is it worth the upgrade?

wjonesy

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Hi
I currently have an Acer Aspire 5810T

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00292BG5A/ref=asc_df_B00292BG5A4662960?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B00292BG5A

Intel Core Duo SU9400 1.4GHz
320GB Hard Drive
4GB RAM
32-bit Windows Vista

I take care of my computers but this laptop is lagging a little. I know the processor isn't very fast, But would an upgrade to an ssd or hybrid drive with 64-bit Windows 7 have a noticeable difference? Also perhaps 8GB RAM? It would be overkill for my needs but seen as its only £40 now seems like good bang for my buck.

Any help is much appreciated.
wjonesy

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
It depends on what is causing the lagging.
If you hard drive is the bottleneck here, an SSD would certainly be a worthwhile upgrade.
Even if the hard drive isn't the problem, an SSD can noticeably cut down on startup and loading times.

8GB RAM would need a 64-bit Operating system to be utilised, since 32-bit can only address something like 3.3GB. So a RAM upgrade would only be useful if you can change/upgrade your OS to a 64-bit one.

Whether the 8GB ram would help your computer - that depends on what you use this machine for. If it's the processor slowing the computer, the extra RAM won't do much to stop it.

Hello wjonesy;

With a 32bit version of Win7 the RAM upgrade would be wasted on your laptop.
And even with a 64bit version and 8GB RAM you'd not be able to notice any performance improvement.

A SSD would only affect storage access times. It would give you faster boot-up, and faster program load times. But overall, it wouldn't make you laptop noticeably faster and probably would not fix the lagging your mention.

Have you done a 'clean' install of your OS lately?

wjonesy

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
I dont have the disc for my OS so cant do a 'clean' install, or can I??

I am going to change to 64 bit and do a full install of windows 7.

Dont think I will go for 8GB RAM

wjonesy

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Yes it shipped with vista. I dont know whats causing the slowness. Also windows explorer crashes and restarts at least twice a day. So many reasons why that happens I dont know what to do about it.