Is it worth

Walix Darek

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016
I have a sony vaio
Witb 2gb upgrable to 8gb
Intel pentium 987 and windows 10 64 bit .
I want to upgrade to 8 gb ram . And install a ssd as replacement for the optical cd drive . So will it make it faster and is it worth upgrade . I want details.

Solution
then i suggest buying a new laptop with a better CPU, RAM and an SSD. programming on a pentium processor probaly means very slow compiling times and your battery has probaly seen better days. i am currently 15 and i am interested in following "technische informatica" (programming but also knowige on the hardware side of things) as a study afther high school and in the minimum requirements they listed for a laptop was an i5 or higher with 8gb of ram with a big battery and sturdy construction. and some more things like that it needs a VGA output and Ethernet because of the beamer and stuff...... your college might have a document listing recommened hardware and otherwise you could ask around and ask people what they use. i hope this was...

Lucky Luck

Estimable
Feb 27, 2015
depending on how much longer you want to carry that laptop. upgrading to a ssd will increase boot-up times a lot and more ram means you will be able to have more things running at the same time. if you want to carry the laptop for a longer period then i suggest the ssd upgrade. i dont know if your laptop has 2 RAM slots but if it does then i suggest buying another 2gb RAM stick and putting it in so you get 4GB of ram. looking at your specs and guessing that you only do basic task like watching movies and surfing and office work then 4GB is enough and going to 8GB from 2 is a BIG upgrade, thats why i am guessing you dont do very heavy tasks.

Lucky Luck

Estimable
Feb 27, 2015
then i suggest buying a new laptop with a better CPU, RAM and an SSD. programming on a pentium processor probaly means very slow compiling times and your battery has probaly seen better days. i am currently 15 and i am interested in following "technische informatica" (programming but also knowige on the hardware side of things) as a study afther high school and in the minimum requirements they listed for a laptop was an i5 or higher with 8gb of ram with a big battery and sturdy construction. and some more things like that it needs a VGA output and Ethernet because of the beamer and stuff...... your college might have a document listing recommened hardware and otherwise you could ask around and ask people what they use. i hope this was helpfull!

Solution