Is long term water damage to portable mini speakers reversable?

inQntrol

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015
Hey,

I found an old speaker (HTC Boom Bass) that I highly believe had water damage, so the sound is muffled. is this damage reversable? Keeping in mind that it has been atleast 6 months or more since the damage occured and that it is still in working order, but the sound is just muffled.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong catagory, i'm not sure where to post this

Solution
So before you go putting money into it. Find yourself an multi-meter, figure out how many Ohms the speaker is supposed to be. Place the speaker face up and test it. If it is off by more than 1 ohm or even .75 Ohms your speaker coil is most likely shot.

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
You can find surround replacement kits, but have never looked for that particular one. If all it is, is a broken down surround, then it can be repaired. If something is damaged further down the cone or in the coil area, then it's probably a lost cause.

jrrdmchls

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
So before you go putting money into it. Find yourself an multi-meter, figure out how many Ohms the speaker is supposed to be. Place the speaker face up and test it. If it is off by more than 1 ohm or even .75 Ohms your speaker coil is most likely shot.

Solution