Is my GPU fried?

ssassassa9

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015
I have a Sager NP9150 with an AMD7970M. Last night, my screen blacked out while I was watching a video, audio was still playing just the screen. I restarted the laptop but it wouldn't get pass the windows logo screen. Tried several times but windows doesn't boot. So this is what I did:

-formatted the laptop
-installed a fresh copy of windows 7
-boot up
-install drivers(except AMD 7970M)
-reboot and everything works fine
-install AMD 7970M driver, installation stuck at a black screen with a blinking underscore
-restart, stuck at windows boot logo
-restore back to before AMD drivers were installed
-boot up fine

I've tried this like 4 times now and most of the time it gets stuck at windows boot logo, and once it just BSOD during the windows boot logo screen. Does this mean that my GPU is fried? Are there any ways to confirm this before I buy a replacement GPU?

Solution
If your system is running, it should me that ur GPU is fine. You mentioned like you where able to get the audio bt there was no display. Can be problem with driver, after reading what all solutions you tried. Get an updated driver, from the site. And also, in even viewer you can see, which module stopped working. Mostly it will be pointing to the driver file.
Also the error you get from BSOD will help you as well. If it is problem with driver, get an updated driver and it can solve your probelm. Or if it the updated driver thats causing the problem. Then roll it back,

Nikhil Das

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
If your system is running, it should me that ur GPU is fine. You mentioned like you where able to get the audio bt there was no display. Can be problem with driver, after reading what all solutions you tried. Get an updated driver, from the site. And also, in even viewer you can see, which module stopped working. Mostly it will be pointing to the driver file.
Also the error you get from BSOD will help you as well. If it is problem with driver, get an updated driver and it can solve your probelm. Or if it the updated driver thats causing the problem. Then roll it back,

Solution

ssassassa9

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015

I have used several versions, including the newest driver and the stock driver that came with the laptop but the same thing still happens. As long as any driver is installed and the laptop is able to detect the dGPU, windows will no longer be able to boot.

I've look through event viewer and I don't see anything that points to the GPU driver. The only thing that looks familiar is when it says I didn't turn off the computer properly(because I was stuck at the windows boot logo screen so I turned it off with power button).