nzrajput

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015
I have HP Probook 4530s with AMD Radeon 6490M later renamed to one of the card of 7400 series. May be 7470M (correct me if I am wrong).

It was all fine when suddenly my laptop froze, restarted to a blank screen after the BIOS.

I have reinstalled the Windows, enabled the switchable graphics in BIOS, but I haven't installed the drivers for AMD graphic card. Now, every time I try to install driver for the AMD graphic card, the screen turns black during the driver installation, as usual, but never returns. I always have to restart my computer. The drivers do not get installed and computer runs perfectly on integrated graphics.

The second graphic card shows up in Device Manager along with Intel HD Graphics 3000.

I have tried installing the drivers from HP. They worked fine previously. Now, the same black screen problem with them, too

Questions:
1. Is my AMD graphic card okay?
2. Is there any solution to this problem? (Please do not suggest to buy a new laptop).

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
If you are trying to use the switchable graphics then you need to make sure to use the driver provided by the manufacture. Using the official AMD driver wont work properly with it, or at least that is what I always ran into when repairing those.

nzrajput

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015

I have tried installing the drivers from HP. They worked fine previously. Now, the same black screen problem with them, too

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Was it also on Windows 10 they worked fine or was it on an older Windows OS?

Looking on HPs website for your product (based on the model number) I don;t see any official Windows 10 drivers. You might have to turn off switchable graphics and use either the built in or discrete GPU.

nzrajput

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015

No, Windows 10 is out of discussion here.
I have used the official HP drivers on Windows 8.1. But now they don't install as well. They lead to the black screen, as mentioned.