Is my laptop graphics card going bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnlhern

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hello everyone! A while back (in January this year), I bought an ASUS X750JB-DB71 off Amazon. It's been working very good for me for quite a while, until recently. About a few weeks ago, I was experiencing stuttering and then crashing in games like TF2, and when it crashed, it would also bring down Steam with it. I decided to reinstall Windows, and when I did, Windows updates would fail and roll back, which took a rather lengthy time. So I decided to send it in for repairs. They replaced my hard drive the first time around, and the problems persisted, so I thought it was my graphics card.

So I sent it back in, explicitly stating that my laptop graphics card was going bad, and I just got it right back from ASUS, with the repair sheet explaining that they replaced my whole motherboard and processor. Cool, I thought. However, I tried running 3DMark with the recent Sky Diver test to see if my card was going good, and it crashed as soon as it loaded. I'm really nervous right now, and I really don't want to go back and forth with ASUS again. What can I do? Is my graphics card going bad?

Processor: Intel Core i7-4700HQ Quad Core @ 2.4 GHZ
Memory: 8192MB
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 740M

Thank you.

dnlhern

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

I sent it in for repair twice and ASUS completely replaced my motherboard. So I assume they would also clean out my computer. I don't get much heat generated when playing games.

dnlhern

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Excuse the double post but trying out games like The Walking Dead, Skullgirls, Runner 2 and The Stanley Parable all report flawless performance (all on max settings too). I don't think anything is wrong with my computer at all, but I'm still perplexed on why 3DMark would just totally crash like that, yet games would run fine.

I'm holding my breath because this seems very oddball to me.

Use a graphics card stress testing program such as furmark http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
Read here http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/test-graphics-card-stability-furmark-gaming/ for how to use the program
Post the results you get back here

dnlhern

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
I had to reboot and now my graphics card isn't even detected.

rSEX9vZ.jpg

This is off a fresh install of Windows right back from the repair facility too. What gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.