Jun 18, 2014
I was playing Skullgirls on my HP Pavilion dv6-3100, suddenly the graphics began to glitch out and I got an error. Then I lost all visibility to the laptop, did a reboot and now I get waving pink with white lines on the screen. I plugged the laptop with the HDMI to my tv, I get unsupported signal and when it does connect green leaf looking dots appear all over the screen. I'm very positive the gpu died, is there anything I can or it the laptop now scrap. The laptop always ran hot so I had to rig it in a way to reduce heat whe9n I used it. This happened a week ago.
zOxKEdk_d.jpg

Solution
I have 5 of these dv6-3000 series laying around with dead northbridge or gpu chip. You can try heating the chip or doing the "oven method" for whole motherboard. This can be waste of time since this is so old laptop. If you go for it, can work from few days up to a year or not at all since its no real fix

R4DIO4CT1VE

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah that does seem like a dead GPU, not a whole lot you can do unfortunately.

That being said the ram, and HDD still could have value in another PC so don't just throw the whole thing away

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
I have 5 of these dv6-3000 series laying around with dead northbridge or gpu chip. You can try heating the chip or doing the "oven method" for whole motherboard. This can be waste of time since this is so old laptop. If you go for it, can work from few days up to a year or not at all since its no real fix

Solution