Is my laptop's HDMI connection damaging my TV?

raykyogrou03

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017
This may sound strange, but could it be possible for my laptop's HDMI connection to be causing permanent damage to my TV?

Okay, so since I don't have cable I download TV shows and movies and play them on my laptop (MSI CX41?) and connect it to the TV using an HDMI cable and extending the display. This was an old 32in-something Samsung plasma screen. Initially, the display on the TV would temporarily turn off from time to time. Just a black screen, as if the signal had been interrupted. No problem, I thought the cable was a bit off anyways. I also connected my PS3 to this TV in the same slot using the same cable and sometimes the same thing would happen. I eventually bought a new cable and tried it out, but it turns out that the cable was not at fault! Months pass by, and sometimes I initially could't even get a display at all. This would start at 10 seconds, then 30 until 5 minutes of taking the cable in and out until getting a display. I then manage to get a cable into another HDMI slot of the TV at the back, which was really hard cause it's blocked off by the bracket. Fastforward to a few weeks ago and this TV would not display at all with the HDMI connnected. It would just keep flashing the screen on and off and eventually even with all cables disconnected, same thing.

This TV actually comes with the apartment, so I got my landlord to replace it. I now have a Hisense LED screen at around the same size. It works great but from time to time the display turns off just like almost a year ago with the Samsung. I haven't had the problem with my PS3 yet (because I haven't really used it a lot). Should I be worried?

Solution
I have a feeling that the port on your laptop for the HDMI might be causing the problem, considering that you have gotten multiple cables and you have had the same or similar results each time
The screen turning off and on the display from time to time, and it sometimes not even working can be the hdmi port on your laptop being the problem
The TV should be okay, it's just the laptop that's causing it for sure
It could just be the port on it =P

ChaoticWolf

Estimable
Feb 2, 2016
I have a feeling that the port on your laptop for the HDMI might be causing the problem, considering that you have gotten multiple cables and you have had the same or similar results each time
The screen turning off and on the display from time to time, and it sometimes not even working can be the hdmi port on your laptop being the problem
The TV should be okay, it's just the laptop that's causing it for sure
It could just be the port on it =P

Solution

raykyogrou03

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017

That could sound like it, but how would I test that?