Is my sd card working

Amanda_53

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
I have a LG k8. Im not sure if its the phone or my SD card, but I can only download 2 things to the phone when I go to download something else it says I need to delete something from what Ive downloaded. I always save my downloaded apps to my SD card, so I should have space but I don't. I go to my SD memory and it says its not there and I know I put it there. This stupid phone has got me so confused. Can someone please tell my what Im doing wrong?

Solution
Well the phone should allow for saving apps to the SD card, however, not when it is still considered "External" storage by the phone. If you didn't make the change over to make the card "Internal" storage, the apps will keep saving to the phone itself. However, once the change is made, the card will show as "Internal" storage for that device and will not be readable by any other devices if taken out of the phone.

If you moved apps that you had previously downloaded over, after the card was changed over, then it can lead to the phone misreading how much space there is. The only way around that is to uninstall all apps downloaded prior to converting the card, and redownload them, which then should install them directly to the card.

That...
Well the phone should allow for saving apps to the SD card, however, not when it is still considered "External" storage by the phone. If you didn't make the change over to make the card "Internal" storage, the apps will keep saving to the phone itself. However, once the change is made, the card will show as "Internal" storage for that device and will not be readable by any other devices if taken out of the phone.

If you moved apps that you had previously downloaded over, after the card was changed over, then it can lead to the phone misreading how much space there is. The only way around that is to uninstall all apps downloaded prior to converting the card, and redownload them, which then should install them directly to the card.

That said, depending on how much space your card has, you didn't say, you could run out. The more apps you have and the more you save things, and also the more you leave uncleared out. Like not clearing browser history or cache, etc., can make even the SD card fill up fast.

Also, many manufacturers are limiting the ability of their devices to allow the card to be made into "Internal" storage, so any update to the firmware (the phones OS) could give you issues as well.

Here is the way to make the card "Internal" storage, just in case it is not what you did before.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Solution