Is my subwoofer broken?

Ponzi

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
On the inside of my subwoofer, i can see that one of the two cords is torn in half, so clearly the sub will not work. Is that fixable? And also, there is a tiny little hole in the subwoofer itself, will that affect the sound?

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
It is probably broken, yes. If you can get to the cord, you could try to solder it back in place, but there are no guarantees. As for the hole - it probably isn't an issue, but it's hard to say for sure. What kind of sub is it?

G

From your description one of the flexible wires that goes from the speaker solder tag terminals to the voice coil has torn away from the cone leaving a hole.

In that case it's a write-off

Ponzi

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009

Yeah I can get to the cord, so I guess I might as well try soldering it back together if that is was only option at the moment. And it is a 12" MTX Audio. Slightly old.

Ponzi

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
From your description one of the flexible wires that goes from the speaker solder tag terminals to the voice coil has torn away from the cone leaving a hole.

In that case it's a write-off

Not quite...The cord itself is torn in half. It is not completly detatched by any means. And I am not exactly sure where the little hole came from, but I do not see that to be an issue in the future, anymore.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bridgestone-tired Audio 0
W Audio 6
J Audio 1
Exotic_Nefariousness Audio 1
Al319 Audio 10
KARTHIK385358 Audio 2
T Audio 2
N Audio 1
B Audio 5
K Audio 4
S Audio 3