Is my VR build alright? Or should I change it around? also Rift or Vibe?

BioticBuilds

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
I am making a "VR Testing Rig" for my dads store (he has a few stores for records cds gaming stuff ect. basically a vinal store with games and books ;D) and i was wondering if this build I put together for him would be satisfactory... Dont worry I know it seems over kill af, but he told me budget really wasn't to big of a problem... here is the link to what I put together: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/CommonSentence/saved/T76VnQ I was thinking of getting an i7 instead ( https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117726 ) but idk if it would really be necessarry xP I mean the bigger the better? but idk lol... also, does everything work together? like are all the parts compatible? Thanks for your help lol I'm not to good at picking out parts, but I know how to build a pc ;D

(Side note, I know its a VR testing rig and i put a monitor, thats because I wanted people passing by to be able to see what is going on inside of the VR, so I would like duplicate the screens... ya lol)

One last question, Should I go with the Rift, or the Vibe? I have been watching many reviews and comparisons, and I am split... I have no clue ;D It is a testing rig that lots of people will use, so I am considering more the Vibe, because it has more "compatibility" to people faces (like glasses and other things like that, with all the possible adjustments) but screen and quality wise i really have no clue. What do you all prefer? xP

Solution
The build looks okay, though the 1000W power supply goes a step beyond overkill. A Core i7 isn't necessary for VR, but if you're going balls to the wall it makes more sense than the 1000W power supply.

I would go for a larger SSD though. Gotta have room for a decent selection of games.

The Rift is somewhat more comfortable than the Vive, though it may require a little more adjustment to the straps. It also has a larger sweet spot, so things don't get as blurry if the headset isn't set up with the right IPD. The Rift's controllers are also a tad more intuitive. On the other hand, the Vive has more room for larger glasses. My glasses fit inside my Rift, but only barely.

Not sure which headset would be easier to clean from user to user...

Sakkura

Distinguished
The build looks okay, though the 1000W power supply goes a step beyond overkill. A Core i7 isn't necessary for VR, but if you're going balls to the wall it makes more sense than the 1000W power supply.

I would go for a larger SSD though. Gotta have room for a decent selection of games.

The Rift is somewhat more comfortable than the Vive, though it may require a little more adjustment to the straps. It also has a larger sweet spot, so things don't get as blurry if the headset isn't set up with the right IPD. The Rift's controllers are also a tad more intuitive. On the other hand, the Vive has more room for larger glasses. My glasses fit inside my Rift, but only barely.

Not sure which headset would be easier to clean from user to user. Probably best to get replaceable VR covers anyway. You definitely don't want to have people infecting each other with all kinds of face bugs.

Solution

BioticBuilds

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

Thanks for the answer! Diffidently will take this into mind :) I was planning on going for maybe a 500gb or maybe even a 1TB ssd, but I am not sure yet... We were planning on getting some kind of mask to put over for protection of germs and such, but we just need to find some that come in bulk... Probably will end up going with the rift, because like you said, the controllers are a bit nicer, and more intuitive, and the quality of the screen is a also higher quality. also its cheaper ;)

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Oh Biotic, you have been led astray to the Oculus Camp.

True Fact(s):
Oculus's founder got booted from Facebook, as he spent his $$$ on funding internet trolls.
They also lost a lawsuit with Zenimax because of stolen intellectual property. There was talk of a court order to stop Rift production, but I haven't heard more on the subject.
SOURCE:
https://uploadvr.com/palmer-luckey-departs-facebook/

http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-zenimax-oculus-vr-lawsuit-explained-2017-2/#august-2013-oculus-vr-a-startup-working-on-a-virtual-reality-headset-called-the-rift-hires-doom-creator-john-carmack-of-id-software-as-its-chief-technology-officer-1

Next up...
Take a look a the HTC Vive, and you will find a better product and more cutting edge technology. Ya know why? Cause they are partnered with Valve, so what you get is better open-source hardware and a focus on less $$$ than making a great experience and growing the VR Industry.

Recently they have released the custom sensors for 3rd parties.
(see demo): http://www.roadtovr.com/doraemon-anywhere-door-uses-simple-props-brilliant-vr-experience/

They are releasing updated controllers soon, and discussion of wireless.
And roomscape.. which Rift has been trying to play catchup on.

Fact is.. you will get more with the Rift, and you will enjoy the cutting edge tech.
What does Oculus have going for it? Proprietary games. :p

Oh, but you are right that it is cheaper... like a Kia is cheaper to a Honda. ;)

(In the end, I don't much care what you go with.. Sakkura is REALLY pro-Rift, and I like to have these die-hard discussions. I think he also believes the Nintendo Virtual Boy was the greatest VR headset EVER!)

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
I'm a fan of the future.. but I respect people who are into antiquated technologies.. and I respect you Sakkura. :)
Time will tell who is right in the end. (and it is gonna be me.)

But hey.. FB is having their tech conference today, so maybe they will announce a crapload of improvements for VR. So far from the news is you get... Facebook in VR! (and more about phone AR.. riding that Pokemon Go wave.)