Solved! Is the Asus K550 Series a decent budget gaming PC?

Kieran_GB

Estimable
Mar 16, 2017
Looking for a decent laptop so I can carry on the go and was wondering if the K550 would play the likes of GTA 5 on medium graphics, what would be the max graphics it could handle? And finally, would I be able to swap the CPU out and put an I3/I5/I7 in? Not sure if it's soldered. I know it's old, but I found one with the following specs.

CPU, Memory and Operating System:
• AMD Quad Core FX-9830P processor.
• 3GHz processor speed.
• 8GB RAM.
• Microsoft Windows 10.

Graphics:
• AMD Radeon HDamd radeon rx 460 graphics card.
• Dedicated graphics card.

Also does anyone know the max RAM or even better, where a service manual is for it?

Thanks in advance for input, hope you can answer some if not all of my questions.

Solution
With some quick research I was able to find some benchmarks with this graphics card playing GTA V on high settings with around 50 FPS. Because it will be on a laptop I wouldn't expect this kind of performance but I would think it will play alright on medium settings. Keep in mind thought if the laptop isn't plugged in you most likely won't get the same performance.

Hope this helps!

King_V

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2014
Not a good processor - that's a Bristol Ridge AMD, and, while that particular one is a new one (that works on AM4 sockets) it's still basically based on the older pre-Ryzen CPUs from AMD. I'd avoid it.

AgentTryHard

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014
With some quick research I was able to find some benchmarks with this graphics card playing GTA V on high settings with around 50 FPS. Because it will be on a laptop I wouldn't expect this kind of performance but I would think it will play alright on medium settings. Keep in mind thought if the laptop isn't plugged in you most likely won't get the same performance.

Hope this helps!

Solution

Kieran_GB

Estimable
Mar 16, 2017

Thanks for the quick response, but do you know if there is a decent CPU from AMD/Intel that would be compatible with the BIOS? Also is the CPU soldered? I know U series ones are from a quick search, but not sure, found ones with i5/i7online.