Is the Asustek Xonar DX/XD worth investing in over onboard audio

krustie92

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
I'm out of my depth when it comes to audio set ups and cards, etc.
Currently I have Asus P8Z77-V-LX motherboard with ALC887 onboard audio. I'm using a Panasonic SA-XH170 home cinema system attached by S/PDIF for speakers. Is there any point investing in this Asustek Xonar DX/XD soundcard, would there be any noticeable improvement? I game a bit but I'd be more concerned about sound for movies and music.

Current Speakers
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/SC-XH170?t=specs
Card Considering
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asustek-Xonar-PCI-E-Profile-Sound/dp/B00198DM2K/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1365867069&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+xonar+dx

krustie92

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

Currently the speech is a bit muffled when I'm watching movies. I'm not sure if this is to do with home cinema set up, speaker layout or the fact I'm using onboard. Any ideas?
And lastly will this card give me 5.1 surround sound through s/pdif?

serafim

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Currently the speech is a bit muffled when I'm watching movies. I'm not sure if this is to do with home cinema set up, speaker layout or the fact I'm using onboard. Any ideas?
And lastly will this card give me 5.1 surround sound through s/pdif?[/quotemsg]

i think its a onboard card issue, ALC887 is a 7.1 channel but cannot handle your huge power SC-XH170
and yes, you and your SC-XH170 will happy for asus xonar DX

please update after upgrading your sound card

krustie92

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

i think its a onboard card issue, ALC887 is a 7.1 channel but cannot handle your huge power SC-XH170
and yes, you and your SC-XH170 will happy for asus xonar DX

please update after upgrading your sound card

[/quotemsg]

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the home cinema system acting as an amplifier? So power should not be an issue? I'm only theorizing

"would there be any noticeable improvement?"
Not really.

krustie92

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
Well having taken the plunge and bought one I've definitely noticed an improvement in clarity of sound and less noise since, using the same set of speakers. So for the €60 or so it cost it was definitely a worthwhile addition.