Is the Logitech z906 worth it over the z506?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrStark

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
Title says it, is the z906 worth the extra money for its features and sound quality over the z506?

Any questions let me know

Cheers

Solution
is the z906 better than the z506?

sure, quite a decent step up actually and more output volume. they will still sound similar (logitech tends to have a bit more bloated bass that sounds boomy) but its not terrible.

i do agree that home theater speakers are more ideal for similar cost but that depends on the cost in your country. sometimes costs are very high and it will cost much more to use hifi/theater than it would the z906.

a warning about htib sets since i saw you looking at one (home theater in a box)
-not all support 5.1 input! even if they have hdmi or optical. you need to make very sure it does before purchasing.
-if your receiver goes, you might have trouble finding a receiver meant to handle the speakers as most are low...
you do not want the klipsch promedia.

i had a pair for a few days and returned them. the subwoofer is much too large for the speakers and unless you turn it down all the way it completely overpowers the satelites which are on the weaker side. sound quality is pretty decent though as is build quality which is why even when i returned them i bought klipsch satelite speakers and subwoofer (quintet iv) and have been very happy with them.

as far as audioengines are concerned,

while they are not bad speakers for a 2.0 they are very picky about placement. place them too close or too far from a wall or at the wrong elevation and they can sound like complete crap. place them well and they can sound pretty decent. i do think that the price on them is way too high for what you get though. decent speakers if you are okay about placement and price

i dont know a whole lot about the swans,

but what i have heard has certainly been positive. keep in mind that they arent big theater speakers and have relatively low output power. i've heard that you will want to keep the mini subwoofer on your desk as well.

what are good speakers for cheap if you wanted a stereo setup,

micca mb42, pioneer bs22, dayton b652 (at least they were.. its hard to know if they still are). klipsch kb-15 icons are good if you like brighter treble. monoprice makes some nice budget subwoofers

as for full 5.1 systems... you might be happy with that speaker set listed earlier and receiver but hard to say... never used that speaker set myself but the brand is decent.

ien2222

Distinguished
@ssdx: Just to clarify with the Swans, it's the M10 series that you want to keep the mid-bass module on the desk. What he is looking at here is the M60's, the sats play a quite a bit lower (80hz vs 120hz for the M10) and it's an 8" sub that goes with it (instead of a 5" with the M10). So sub placement doesn't really need to be on the desk.

MrStark

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
So i'm thinking about getting the STR-DH550 receiver, can any of you guys agree on a set of speakers whether it's 5.1 or 2.1. Basically as long as i can expand to 5.1 in the future.

suvo30

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
i have a logitech z 2300 2.1ch speakers that died on me after giving excellent sound for 11 years so me buying z 906 today the updated 2017 version for 344$ here price in Kolkata , India . I never bought the speakers from online store i bought it from local hardware store they took a week but has my speakers ready they informed me yesterday they said they do no have much customers to buy these speakers so on my special request they have arranged one for me , i am pretty excited to get my own 5.1ch speakers with good sound quality .