Is the Logitech z906 worth it over the z506?

MrStark

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
Title says it, is the z906 worth the extra money for its features and sound quality over the z506?

Any questions let me know

Cheers

Solution
is the z906 better than the z506?

sure, quite a decent step up actually and more output volume. they will still sound similar (logitech tends to have a bit more bloated bass that sounds boomy) but its not terrible.

i do agree that home theater speakers are more ideal for similar cost but that depends on the cost in your country. sometimes costs are very high and it will cost much more to use hifi/theater than it would the z906.

a warning about htib sets since i saw you looking at one (home theater in a box)
-not all support 5.1 input! even if they have hdmi or optical. you need to make very sure it does before purchasing.
-if your receiver goes, you might have trouble finding a receiver meant to handle the speakers as most are low...

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Definitely. Sub is 165W compared to 27W. Speakers are 67W compared to 8W. There is a reason one set is $500 and the other is $130.

However I find a computer set of speakers lacks in speaker quality and makes up for it with a powerful subwoofer. Not bad for movies but that's about it. I would prefer at minimum a set of monitors like the following.

https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/speakers/airmotiv-4s
https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/speakers/airmotiv-6s

You'll get great sound from the computer, no subwoofer required. A sub would actually diminish the sound quality. If your looking for surround sound then I'd suggest a home theatre receiver and some Polk Audio Monitor speakers from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202R&cm_re=polk_audio-_-82-290-202R-_-Product

Get 2 pairs of those a center speaker and a sub. For roughly the same price as the Z906 you'll blow them out of the water. The logitechs are a toy compared to those Polks and at those prices I'd buy them while you can. Pick up the whole 5.1 set and check your local Best BUy or whatever for a sale on a receiver. Heck even Newegg sells some 5.1 receivers like Pioneer for under $200.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
One thing to add. Computer speakers have the speaker amp built into the subwoofer. When that dies your entire set is garbage. Sux to spend $500 on a nice set of computer speakers to have them die a year later. At least with those Polk speakers they last forever. Just pair them with any old home theatre receiver.

Speakers $90 a pair for $180 to get the 4.
Center channel is $100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA71N3S08786&cm_re=polk_audio-_-9SIA71N3S08786-_-Product
Add a sub for $99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034&cm_re=polk_audio_subwoofer-_-82-290-034-_-Product

That's $380 for the speaker set. You could even upgrade the sub to something half decent for $80 more. Get a $180 pioneer receiver and your laughing. Would cost you over $1000 at a local electronics store to get similar quality.

MrStark

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015

Sorry for the late reply,
Yes i understand what you are saying unfortunately i forgot to mention (as i always seem to do) that i am Australian. So i must clarify (if this makes any difference) i can get the z506 for $80 (aud) $56 (USD) and the z906 for $320 (aud) $224 (USD)

Anyway, You're saying go for a home theatre equivalent speakers if i understand correctly?
Being Australian means everything is expensive. I went onto Polk Australia and found their cheapest centre speaker is $549 (aud) ~$385 (USD)

So... i can go with a home theatre solution from other companies e.g. Sony (i have an underground theatre room with absolutely fantastic Sony speakers) do you have any recommendations?

Thank you for your research and knowledge

Cheers

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
In North America those Polk speakers are sold at discount prices and are a great value. A $500 set of those Pole Monitor II series would cost over $1500 to get a similar Polk set from an electronics store. In Australia they wouldn't be available.

In your case the Logitechs arn't bad for the price. Definitely the Z906 though. They will be pretty decent.

There are other companies that make decent computer speakers but again, they may not be available in Australia. I'll take a look and see if any of them are available in Australia.

MrStark

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015

Yeah it's a pain living here sometimes.
Thanks mate any help you can give me is appreciated

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I started with a search at Newegg Australia. These are not bad.

http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116044&cm_re=speaker-_-36-116-044-_-Product

A great set of 2.0 Creatives that will sound way better than the Logitech Z906. I've used them and for the price the Creatives are decent and can't be touched. They arn't surround sound however, so if that's what your looking for then look elsewhere. Personally for music, games, and even movies I'd take the creatives over the logitechs. Much better sound reproduction.

Now if you want to step it up a notch and get into real audio check out the following from Musos Corner in Australia. You should be familiar with that store. These will kick but at a decent price range.

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/eris-e4-5-2-way-4-5-studio-monitor-pair

The preSonus monitors are 50W each compared to 16W with the Creatives. They have balanced XLR inputs which you're probably not use. The second speaker connects with plain old speaker wire so you can easily make it as long as you want. They also have an auxilary input and headphone output. I check the reviews of the PreSonus monitors and people claim they are good enough to be used for studio mixes. For under $300 this is probably the best you'll do.

If you want surround sound I'd hold off for a real home theatre. But for music and gaming these monitors will even outshine a surround sound home theatre.

I have been assuming your going to use these with a computer. I may be wrong.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I searched around and the Presonus are the best I could find under $300. If you want great audio this is it. They'll keep up with a home theatre 5.1 system. Don't let the fact that they're only 2.0 put you off. A subwoofer can actually give you less bass. And computer speakers are all crap speakers with an overpowered cheap bass to artificially make you think it sounds better than it is. Skip the el cheapo computer 5.1 systems and get yourself a professional set of powered monitors for the same price.

MrStark

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015

Yes these are going for a PC, shoul've clarified.
What is the disadvantage of 5.1 for applications such as gaming?

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
In my experience 5.1 doesn't provide much for gaming unless you use surround headphones.

Secondly the smaller PC 5.1 systems really lack the power and clarity required for a great surround experience.

Now the larger systems like the logitech z906 arn't bad. For the price they are half decent for a 5.1 system. But with any music or stereo content they are just utter rubbish. And being computer speakers they have that stupid control pod and cable. If that thing breaks your speakers are worthless.

The Logitechs may sound good at first, but that's just the 5.1 effect. Compare them side by side with a nice set of bookshelf speakers and you'll think the logitechs are crap. I used to have a high end set of Creative 5.1 that I though was half decent. Then I got a high end home theatre and gave the Creatives to a friend. I can't stand the Creatives anymore as they are very harsh. The logitechs will be all highs and bass with no midrange or full accurate sound.

Also the speakers of the logitechs have just 1 driver in a plastic shell. The presonus and other 2.0 setups are well built wooden boxes with a full range sound and a tweeter. The amp is also of much higher quality on the monitors which adds to their greater sound quality. Aside from getting into a higher priced HiFi system, when it comes to good/inexpensive computer audio it's hard to beat a set of powered monitors.

There are some companies like M-Audio, Audioengine, Harmon Kardon, Polk, Definitive Technology, etc... that put out great computer speakers, but they are all 2.0 as well. These 2.0 systems provide accurate audio. That is you hear completely flat. Use software on the computer to add some EQ and stuff to tune the sound to your exact liking. You may be able to find some of these in Australia but the PreSonus is what I came up with at a decent price that's available to you.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
5.1 audio naturally has the rear speakers rather low in volume. So sitting at your desk your right next to the front speakers and the rears are quite far back. You need to crank the rear speakers to really get an effect. With a home theatre the rears are next to the couch and the fronts are way far next to the tv. It's different. Also a $2000 hometheatre is going to be a bit better than an all in one $200 computer package.

With headphones all speakers are next to your ear so you hear the rears really well. That's a great experience for gaming. With speakers it's different. You won't be able to get any positional advantage from the 5.1. I'd go with a nice 2.0 set, enjoy top class professional audio, and in the future if you want to upgrade for gaming consider a set of headphones or a true 5.1 gaming headset. The true 5.1 headsets with the 3 speakers in each ear are amazing for gaming although are complete garbage for music. And with music you usually want speakers to fill the room, with gaming you want headphones so you can talk on a mic without feedback. That's why you get an awesome 2.0 set for music and anything else really, and optionally upgrade to a good gaming headset if your serious about your gaming.

is the z906 better than the z506?

sure, quite a decent step up actually and more output volume. they will still sound similar (logitech tends to have a bit more bloated bass that sounds boomy) but its not terrible.

i do agree that home theater speakers are more ideal for similar cost but that depends on the cost in your country. sometimes costs are very high and it will cost much more to use hifi/theater than it would the z906.

a warning about htib sets since i saw you looking at one (home theater in a box)
-not all support 5.1 input! even if they have hdmi or optical. you need to make very sure it does before purchasing.
-if your receiver goes, you might have trouble finding a receiver meant to handle the speakers as most are low impedance.
-input from pc would need to be direct (not through hdmi-arc from tv) or optical from tv as you would be limited to 2.0 since the pc detects the tv as a stereo device so refuses to output 5.1 to it. if you're hooking up to other equipment you should not have these issues.

does that make htibs bad? no, in some cases they certainly work.. but i like to make it clear what some possible limitations are. i prefer full avr's and speakers myself.

Solution

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
So that's another vote for a true receiver, home theatre with speakers. But bearing the high cost of that, a great solution for a desktop set is a pair of powered monitors.

I agree that Logitechs are boomy. A big sub with some cheap trebly speakers.

i had the old x530 yet for years (compare with z506) and it was not terrible. i was certainly happy for many years.

now that i upgraded to home theater speakers though there is no comparison. granted, i spent much more on my speakers now than i did on my old set... but even entry level hifi/theater sets can be much better sounding than pc speakers.

i'm not sure what would be good priced in australia as i know prices there can be high.

on a side note: if you already have an underground theater room with nice speakers... perhaps you do not want to invest much in pc speakers for your computer as it might be a bit of a waste.

agreed, i like true receiver units, but it seems like it might be overkill or too expensive for the ops requirements. ultimately it is their decision just how important sound is to them.

i agree, good stereo powered speakers or even some passives with an amplifier are also great if 5.1 is not needed.

MrStark

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
Wow ok a lot of replies, thanks guys

I'll have to look into a home theatre setup that's not too expensive. Can you recommend any brands I should look into

Cheers

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Check www.graysonline.com

http://www.graysonline.com/retail/desys51b-n/audio-tv-and-home-theatre/denon-5-1-home-theatre-speaker-system-black?spr=true

This is a complete speaker set for $250. Just pair it with a receiver.

http://www.graysonline.com/retail/strdh550-r/audio-tv-and-home-theatre/sony-strdh550-5-2ch-av-receiver-black?spr=true#

Here's a simple receiver you could use.

Another solution would be to get 2 better floorstanding or bookshelf speakers and use those as 2 front speakers for now with the receiver. Then over time upgrade and add 2 rears, a center, and a sub.

https://www.rio.com.au/product/pioneer-spb22-book-shelf-speakers-by-andrew-jones

A set of bookshelfs for $250. Just these alone would get you started with a receiver.

https://www.rio.com.au/product/klipsch-promedia-21-system-with-thx-certified-speakers-for-your-computer

I found the Klipsche pro media 2.1 speakers in Australia :) Rated some of the best computer speakers on the market.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Trying to keep it under $500 in Australia is tough. Personally I think I would just order the Klipsche Pro Media 2.1. You get a subwoofer, some good speakers, only spend $250 and call it a day and enjoy. In the meantime start saving for a 5.1 system in the future.

Hold the phone...

I just found a site in Australia. https://www.pccasegear.com/category/567

They have all the nice computer speakers. Check them out. I'm going to browse and post a few of the sets I'd recommend.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/29712 - Swan 5.1 set is bit more at $650 but would end your search for a half decent surround sound.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/20186 - A higher quality set, only 2.1 but still gives you the sub. $385 so within the budget

Then they have the swan and audioengine 2.0 setups which are amazing. Anything from $250 to over $1000.

I have personally used both Swan and Audioengines and can attest to their quality. Forget the Klipsche, forget the Logitechs. I'd be getting the Swans or Audioengines. If you want 5.1 there is only 1 choice. If you can settle for 2.1 or 2.0 then you have to make a choice.

A buddy of mine had the Klipsche promedias. Not bad, but not in the same league as the Audioengines and high end swans. There is a low end hiss to the Klipsch at low volume. Just something off for such a high end pair of multimedia speakers. Sound great but with a flaw that may bug you.

It's tough finding something for Australia since they use 230V 50Hz power. But if you can order from pccasegear then consider these. My search is done. Enjoy.

If you really want the good stuff then for 2.0 these are amazing.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/18527

And if you want a nice 5.1 then these swans

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/20217

Just keep in mind that the cheaper 5.1 swans are good, but won't punch and boom anything like those Audioengines or even Swans own 2.0 systems. No comparison at all. But that's the price you pay for sacrificing quality to get 5.1. If you want 5.1 that has the loud bass and punch for music then you need spend the bucks on the better 5.1 system. Otherwise those Audioengine 5+ are the best speakers in their price range for any computer. They will sound just amazing for music, movies, gaming, just anything....but without the 5.1. And they are better than a 2.1 system, no sub required. 2.0 will give better quality than 2.1.

So I'd be choosing between the 5.1 swans or the audioengine 2.0 speakers.