Is there a good Gaming Tablet? Haswell + GF700m in tablet or convertible w/ HD Screen?

The_KillSmith

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
With the introduction of both the Haswell mobile i5/i7 CPUs and GeForce 700m GPUs, and Win 8.1 on the horizon, I'm expecting some great things to come from mobile gaming devices that could potentially be used as a tablet, a "laptop" (even tablets without keyboards can be converted with bluetooth keyboard cases), a desktop, or home entertainment/console (w/ Steam Big Picture + wireless remotes).

What I'm trying to find:

• Tablet or Laptop convertible with a touch display

14"-17" Screen with 1080p res or higher

Screen dot pitch & color gamut that rivals or betters the Retina display

New Intel Haswell i5 or i7 family

New GeForce 700m family

SD Card slot if possible

Don't care a whole lot about battery life as long as it's not ridiculous short.

If Razor upgrades it's Edge with the new Haswell/700m we might have the right product on our hands, but I'm worried they won't give us a spectacular screen and they'll focus on the ultra small form factor rather than upping the screen size a bit. It might be a bit too early for a tablet that gives us all the items listed above, so I'm thinking there might be a touch screen laptop convertible that will end up fitting the bill. Razor also has it's Blade that HAS already been upgraded w/ the Haswell & 700m, but unfortunately it's not a convertible with touch screen, so it can't be used as a tablet. (Such a silly thing to leave out of that already high end and slim device in my opinion.) I'm also not 100% certain about the screen quality on that one.

Are there already some devices available or announced and on the horizon that are close to what I describe above? I'm wondering what the fall will bring.

kirilmatt

Honorable
May 6, 2013
I'm sorry but there's nothing like the product you mentioned about coming anytime soon. There is simply very little demand for such a product, especially with such a big screen

The_KillSmith

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

We'll see.

I can see the larger screen being the outlier I suppose... but gaming laptops with good screens have a market, and all those are really missing is the convertible/touchscreen aspect. I'm guessing that with both a power conscious CPU and GPU now on the market along with an updated OS (8.1) that can handle both touch and normal windows GUI in a decent fashion, we can finally see decent gaming hardware start to leak into other mobile form factors. Heck, we already have with the Edge... and that was probably a generation of hardware too early.

kirilmatt

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I forgot about convertibles! You'll probably see one at 14-15in soonish. I don't know about GPU though, that may take a little time before those come along, if they can without thermal throttling.