Is this a good combo for a laptop for under $850?

jacket79

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014
i7-4700MQ Processor
NVIDIA 840M with 2048MB of dedicated video memory
8GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
15" display (1920x1080)

My house burglarized recently and I am looking into getting another laptop.
Nvidia 840M or 740M $10 difference or Intel integrated for $95 cheaper?
I will use it for photo editing and some video edits, basic graphic design and modeling, some gaming.

Any suggestions on if this is a good buy or another configuration that's cheaper or better?

Solution
this will make a great modeling laptop, but as for renders, the nature of laptops makes them not so great options. Renders, doesnt matter what kind of hardware you have, pushes the system hard and runs its hot, laptops get extra hot with that said. Running for 10+ hours at 100% could be bad (which is sometimes the case in big renders). for basic, entry level graphic design its great, for modeling it will do well too honestly, its just when it comes to rendering video, 3d animation, or 3d images with TONs of layers and physics based operations where i would worry.

fatboyslimerr

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I would get GT 840M as it is based on the new Maxwell architecture which is incredibly energy efficient and runs cool. Performance may increase too as driver optimisations are released. No brainer! Get the newest tech :)

Rest of the build is great.

Beezy

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
this will make a great modeling laptop, but as for renders, the nature of laptops makes them not so great options. Renders, doesnt matter what kind of hardware you have, pushes the system hard and runs its hot, laptops get extra hot with that said. Running for 10+ hours at 100% could be bad (which is sometimes the case in big renders). for basic, entry level graphic design its great, for modeling it will do well too honestly, its just when it comes to rendering video, 3d animation, or 3d images with TONs of layers and physics based operations where i would worry.

Solution

jacket79

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014

Thanks, I agree in newer tech is usually the way to go.

I found it on HP's site, HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition, you have to customize the graphics card(95) and display(50) which adds about $145, but there is a $150 discount that's applied. I also added LoJack since realizing how hard it is to get electronics back after they are stolen, which added another $20, 50% off. I think it's on sale for a day or two.

Thanks for the input Beezy, I was leaning towards a desktop but I decided I needed the portability. I haven't gotten into the advanced rendering etc as I'm teaching myself and when I get to that step I'll invest in a Desktop. Hopefully build it myself, depending on what technology does in the next couple years, we'll see how that goes

Beezy

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013