Is this laptop good for Minecraft?

kiwi king

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Hello! I was wondering if the laptop I picked is good for running Minecraft at high settings (16 chunk render distance and stuff). Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AF3M03W/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Thanks in advance to whoever is going to answer the question.

Computer__GUY

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Before I got into more higher end gaming I used to have an AMD A6 and it ran Minecraft on 60+ FPS max settings so in answer to your question, yes it will be able to run Minecraft. Just keep in mind that it only has a 14" display and most laptops have 15.6" displays but obviously that won't affect FPS.

LummusMaximus

Honorable

Won't make a difference...

I actually laughed, that's VERY wrong.

The thing is there's a considerable performance gap between laptop and desktop parts. My ~5 year old desktop performs better than my high-end laptop i got this very morning. The thing is, in a desktop, there's the assumption there's a large area for heat to dissipate to with tons of fans everywhere, as well as a continual connection to any form of electricity. I think desktop CPUs use ~90 watts of power.

Laptops, on the other hand, have constraints such as a tiny area for heat dissipation and smaller fans. They also have to be able to work off of a battery. Where a laptop can make four hours of battery life, a desktop with the same battery would't last twenty minutes. The simple fact is, laptops are designed to save power, and desktops can consume close to 200 watts while idle. There is a huge performance gap, and although with every generation the gap closes, it's still very large.

If anything, look for dedicated GPUs. Post links to whatever you find that looks good and I'll make sure for you it'll play. MineCraft like you want.

kiwi king

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

Thanks, I almost bought the laptop I was looking at. But still, will it run Minecraft with full settings at 20 or more FPS?

LummusMaximus

Honorable
While AMD makes the best budget systems, the answer is simply no. I dropped $850 on a HP yesterday, it has gaming class specs and everything, and it plays MC on roughly medium settings. If you want it maxed out, you'd be looking at close to $1500 dollars, maybe $1300. However, I can confirm it will play MC on low.

Computer__GUY

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

No, it will run it on max. at 60+FPS. As mentioned previously, I used to own an A6 and it maxed Minecraft out.

LummusMaximus

Honorable

You use the desktop version of the CPU, correct? As i stated earlier, there are huge differences between laptop and desktop parts.