Is this laptop good?

Solution

It wont play skyrim very well on high if at all, maybe on lower resolutions. You need to spend a bit more if you want a good experience in skyrim on a laptop. Something like this would be good, I used the German amazon because it uses euros. Look around more if you want, look for something with at least a nvidia gtx 860m or 960m, the 870m or 970m would be better if you can find one for a reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Notebook-i7-4710HQ-GeForce-Betriebssystem/dp/B00KH6PAT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437835560&sr=8-1&keywords=gaming+laptop

KKAW

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015

Entry level for gaming in general.
Mid ranged for gaming in laptop.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

It wont play skyrim very well on high if at all, maybe on lower resolutions. You need to spend a bit more if you want a good experience in skyrim on a laptop. Something like this would be good, I used the German amazon because it uses euros. Look around more if you want, look for something with at least a nvidia gtx 860m or 960m, the 870m or 970m would be better if you can find one for a reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Notebook-i7-4710HQ-GeForce-Betriebssystem/dp/B00KH6PAT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437835560&sr=8-1&keywords=gaming+laptop

Solution

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Yes KKAW is spot on with what he is saying. I actually have a laptop with basically the same graphics card. It can play games, but at 1366x768 I have to play with settings, normally medium and low, to get things running. Some games that are from the last year or two won't run with the lowest settings and maintain playable frame rates, but 2013 games and older typically do.

Skyrim, without any mods, you could probably manage medium settings. Maybe even a couple of high settings if you turn AA off.

There are definitely better systems for gaming out there, but if that fits your budget and you can't get any of those better systems at a price you can afford, then you could do worse.

KKAW

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015

Agreed, gaming on laptop's is not a topic i enjoy because of the hefty premium you have to pay in order to get similar results as it's desktop counter parts.

If you get a $700 custom built PC (monitor, keyboard included) it will perform better than most $1000+ laptops & it would be a much better experience.

This laptop is not made to play games. You maybe able to play the game at low settings at 720p but not more than that as the cpu and gpu are weak. If you give your budget I can try and find a good laptop for you that can play skyrim which is more cpu intense than gpu.

With a 920m and a 1600x900 resolution screen you should be able to play Skyrim on medium settings with pretty decent performanc; ~ 36 FPS - 40 FPS. Disabling anti-aliasing and all shadow options (in the SkyrimPref.ini file) can probably boost performance to around 46 FPS - 50 FPS.