Is This What Project Natal Will Look Like?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]they should call it the iStalk since it knows when you are sleeping, it knows when your awake, it copy's your moves on the tv screens, so play good for goodness sakeit just is too much of a gimmick to be seriously taken as an input device, and how except for gestures (if it can read them accurately enough) is it going to replicate all the input options of a controller say when playing an fps[/citation]
You can use the controller along with gestures. People somehow assume that this will replace the controller. No, it won't. I'm thinking games that will play like your typical games, with the XBox 360 controller (and any accessories you may like to use) but with the added ability to interface to you virtually. Maybe there will be gestures involved. Maybe the game will be able to respond intelligently to your facial expressions and respond to your emotions. Maybe you will be able to manipulate real-world objects and have it transfer to in-game actions. Maybe you will be able to "give" real-world objects to characters in-game (ala the "Milo" demo).

There is a crapton of potential in this device. Like I said, hopefully the developers see its potential and do it right.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Isn't the WII up there in market share.. I'm pretty sure it is. What makes you people think this is gonna be a failure when it's pretty much simply gonna be a wii on steroids. I doubt you'll see to many serious games on this.

To many of you are simply love/hate it. How about simply wait in see.

moeswow

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I've actually had a chance to play with Project Natal. They had a private event in April in Venice, CA at an art studio which had 2 of the units set up and let anyone who wanted to try it out. The device is pretty interesting it can track up to 4 people at the same time with no lag or confusion. Also, since my friends and I are freerunners we wanted to check to see if it can track a front flip or back flip and sure enough the demo avitar did..... pretty good stuff. I also had the opportunity to talk with a couple of the xbox staff that were there. They said that for FPS games they were probably going to allow for more interaction such as peeking around corners and such by tilting your head, as many people do this anyways while they play. Overall though project natal is something that is supposed initially marketed for older and younger consumers. xbox has a pretty good lock on the 13-35yr old market, Project Natal is a good way for them to expand their market appeal. Ontop of that it could also be used to simulate 3D on non 3d televisions via head tracking. Hope this was helpful.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]alfaalex101[/nom]I can't wait to play fps games with this thing :|/poorly disguised sarcasm[/citation]
I actually am looking forward to playing an fps with this. For an FPS, you'd still use the controller, but Natal will pick up leans (like leaning to peak around a corner) and hand gestures you give to your squad.

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Didn't you all hear the rumor? Project Natal will be branded as the Wave, it just doesn't get any gayer then that.... But regardless of the name I'll buy one and try it, but if the Wii failed to get me back into video games then this will undoubtedly fail to.

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
I see a lot of 12 year olds getting excited about this.

That's about it. Maybe some stay at home moms who are trying to be cool.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
The xbox is one ugly abiet unreliable console

its the commodore 64 of the console world

Microsoft atleast make a better looking version and make it look like something you want to play as apposed to wanting to cover it up with a decorated cardboard box.

and if that is natal then is just ugly

i must say the ps3 slim is a far better looking console

G

I owned a commodore 64 thank you, and at its time, it was an excellent piece of electronics....however it was quickly replaced. Natal has a lot of potential, but like others have stated it will be a wait-and-see when it comes to game development.

amrsss

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
well, i have PS3 Slim and Xbox 360 Elite right next to each other. Yes, PS3 looks slicker and Xbox more bulkier, but i always liked Borgs Cube... :)

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I'm sure it will either:

a) balance just fine on-top of my 0.75" thick TV

or

b) work totally flawlessly through the smoked glass front of my AV cabinet.

Design = Failed.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Wow do you all know how old the crapbox is now and they come out with this? LoL gimme a break! How long are they going to milk this cow. Even the PS3 is starting to show it's age now. I'm so glad I game on a high end PC which is leap years ahead of console garbage. 6 core CPU at 3.8 ghz, 8 gb DDR 3, 5970 and 2560 x 1600 res, that's 1600p for you dummies.[/citation]
That's a rather shortsighted viewpoint. Has it ever occurred to you that the natal concept could eventually be used for other devices as well? For instance to the successor of the xbox360 or even the PC itself? Would be a good use for one of those 6+ cores on your CPU. Imagine a home environment where lights, tv, stereo, pc, etc. are all controlled by a natal like interface. No more searching for the right remote - just use a hand gesture like a freaking genie and and your desire is recognized and carried out. The console use of natal is just a testing ground for a whole new type of human/machine interaction.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]6 core CPU at 3.8 ghz, 8 gb DDR 3, 5970 and 2560 x 1600 res, that's 1600p for you dummies.[/citation]
Saying 1600p makes you sound as dumb as 1080p marketing people. Your rig sounds pretty unbalanced. Based on the amount of RAM, it sounds like you got one of the new 6 core AMD chips, which would totally hold back your 5970 at 2560x1600; or you got the new intel 6 core and a really crappy motherboard that has one set of triple channel slots and a fourth slot...just because. Neither case makes a lot of sense. You drop almost 2 grand on a monitor and video card and skimp on processor (in the AMD case) or the motherboard (in the intel case). I'm calling shenanigans on the whole rig!!

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Wow do you all know how old the crapbox is now and they come out with this? LoL gimme a break! How long are they going to milk this cow. Even the PS3 is starting to show it's age now. I'm so glad I game on a high end PC which is leap years ahead of console garbage. 6 core CPU at 3.8 ghz, 8 gb DDR 3, 5970 and 2560 x 1600 res, that's 1600p for you dummies.[/citation]

Enthralling story, Joe Bromaggio, but perhaps not everyone is willing to blow a cool three grand to play games.

Status
Not open for further replies.