Is VR worth it right now?

IDProG

Estimable
Jul 6, 2016
I'm able to buy a VR headset, but before buying such an expensive piece of hardware, I want to ask some questions:
1) Do VR games make you tired quickly? Do you have to stand up to play VR games?
2) Are VR games worth it? Are the story and the gameplay great enough?
Your answers will determine whether I should buy a VR headset or not.
Thank You.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
I would highly recommend you look for a demo of VR somewhere, HTC vive does them at best buys I believe look it up. I have only played VR for maybe a total of 20mins but I was so immersed in the game I did not notice if I was tired. VR games are just really show pieces at the moment not many I can think of with a great story but im sure that will change over time. I thought it was incredible, I played elite dangerous and I have to say it was a hell of an experience indescribable. Would I be an early adopter and pay $800 for a vive plus the hardware to support it? Absolutely not, maybe if I was swimming in money which im not. Im going to wait a few years most likely but eventually I will get it. Here is a good video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JdV18z0rFc

IDProG

Estimable
Jul 6, 2016
Yeah, I agree with you two. Nowadays, VR isn't worth it yet. I think I will wait for some years until there is a great VR headset with a super comfortable controller and is fully wireless. Thank you.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
As an HTC owner, I disagree with the analysis.

For me, if you are hardcore PC person, who has some extra cash.. then it is TOTALLY worth it. If you are the kind of guy who sees the Nvidia 1080, and think "Hmmm.. well, I could afford it, but do I NEED it?", then VR is for you!

The experiences are great!
I mean, I still get a little freaked out by the full immersion of the HTC Vive. It is to the point I am quoting the Matrix: "Do you think that is air you are breathing?". I have spent a butt load of hours in my Vive.

Are the experiences as polished as the latest games from a major console? NOPE! (but they are getting there.)
The HTC was released in April. (got mine in may due to shipping orders). So, for me it has been 2 months, and there are not LOTS of games on Steam. Some are full experiences, some are cheap demo like experiences, and there are a lot of Early Access.

But still.. only a few months in, and there are so many things to try, and stuff to do! But again.. we are on Month #3.

2 days ago, I tried "Raw Data" on Steam. This is the first game where the limited room scale and cord finally got on my nerves, as I need to move around for cover. And it is multi-player Co-Op. Not to mention the graphics on it pushed my system to the brink. Point being.. they are developing really clean looking games for HTC Vive.

SO! Is it worth it?
It is an experience for $800 that you can't get anywhere else, and will entertain you for hours.
How much is that worth to you? I paid $300 to skydive for 1 minute... that was worth it to me.
I paid $800 to play in VR and have all the new emotions in a game I haven't felt in a long time... the feeling of wonder, excitement, fear, and exploration... what is that worth to you?

But... if you don't have $800 of disposable income, then NO.. pay some bills. Put some in savings.. be responsible. :)