ISPs Dishing Out Warnings to P2P Pirates Soon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Wait, how would stopping illegal downloading help with people who hog bandwidth? It wouldn't at all because the next place they would go would be either a) an internet site like hulu that STILL streams over the internet or b) a TV service like xfinity that, hey what a concept, STILL streams video over the "internet" to your digital tv service.

Just sounds like more BS to me. That last paragraph makes no logical sense whatsoever. More and more things are done online - illegal downloading doesn't stop that. If someone buys a game online instead of illegally downloading it online....they still have to download it.....

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]fudoka711[/nom]Wait, how would stopping illegal downloading help with people who hog bandwidth? It wouldn't at all because the next place they would go would be either a) an internet site like hulu that STILL streams over the internet or b) a TV service like xfinity that, hey what a concept, STILL streams video over the "internet" to your digital tv service.Just sounds like more BS to me. That last paragraph makes no logical sense whatsoever. More and more things are done online - illegal downloading doesn't stop that. If someone buys a game online instead of illegally downloading it online....they still have to download it.....[/citation]

Reinstalled windows(running 8 as my primary), and had to download my steam/ea/ubisoft/blizzard games; i am now at 570 gigs on the month, with a 300gb cap. Guess i have to bump up to business.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Who's footing the bill for this?

How long until the poor slow outdated internet infrastructure here in the US gets fixed and brought up to speed compared to the rest of the world?

Who's the politicians and the judge that put a entire nation on parole at the hands of the Corporate ISP Nazi's? Wake up call prohibition didn't work.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
You know what's funny? Internet caps themselves invalidate the industry's argument that people are pirating from them on some massive scale. Major piracy circles likely have direct download links to begin with and business class, dedicated lines. People can't majorly pirate to begin with when they're capped at 250GB. Piracy and CI laws were made to fight large scale counterfeiting.

Also of note, the first notice is acknowledgement. It confirms you were aware of the rules so they can punish you further next time, perhaps allowing them to say you agreed to the terms. NEVER acknowledge this notice, let them keep sending them. If they're sending a confirmation first, it's likely because they need you to legally note that you were aware.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]@festerovicyour VPN only encrypts the traffic in your tunnel. As soon as you leave the VPN network that traffic is going to go the normal way. Example you have a laptop with a VPN client attached to your home network via VPN, without a split tunnel so all your laptop traffic goes through your VPN. It simply goes to your home network gets unencrypted and heads out to the internet. VPNs only encrypt very specific locations.[/citation]

Someone doesn't understand how a VPN works. Your stuff is encrypted until it gets to the network of the VPN provider, THEN it is usually sent out cleartext/unencrypted. On the way back to you, it is then RE-encrypted and you are sent the encrypted information, which your computer then unencrypts.

To be blunt, you have absolutely no idea how a VPN works.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Just watch all day movies online (with hulu, netlfix, voyo, etc) or listen to high quality internet radio (like deepmix moscow) and you hog all bandwith and they can`t do anything to you.... legally!
I`ve got complains from ISP for going over 6Tb / month (in july if i remember correctly)... but hey since is unlimited they can`t pull that "fair bandwidth usage" shit on me (i just ignore them).

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]Just watch all day movies online (with hulu, netlfix, voyo, etc) or listen to high quality internet radio (like deepmix moscow) and you hog all bandwith and they can`t do anything to you.... legally!I`ve got complains from ISP for going over 6Tb / month (in july if i remember correctly)... but hey since is unlimited they can`t pull that "fair bandwidth usage" shit on me (i just ignore them).[/citation]

They shouldn't be calling that on you anyway since you are PAYING for what you use. These companies need to realize that they are not supposed to get rich off providing bandwidth, they are supposed to make a reasonable 10% max profit.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
So let me get this straight... they're going to monitor your internet traffic (whether invasive monitoring or non-invasive monitoring) and tell YOU how to use your internet you pay for?

Get out of town.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]snowzsan[/nom]So let me get this straight... they're going to monitor your internet traffic (whether invasive monitoring or non-invasive monitoring) and tell YOU how to use your internet you pay for?Get out of town.[/citation]

Agreed. They try this bullshit with me and they are going to be facing a lawsuit two seconds after I get the notices, especially since I am paying for cable TV which has movie and music channels.

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]If I were on one of these horrible ISP's, I would spin up a copy of TPB on a netbook connected to my open wireless router and shove it in a closet...Give them such a huge amount of requests that it become unprofitable for them to maintain these systems. Just the paper/postage alone of sending out thousands of these a month must hurt their bottom line. Now imagine if they had to send out one every day for every subscriber....[/citation]

I am sure the cost of this program is being subsidized by the RIAA and MPAA.

G

Gotta love the US eh ? The land of the free and the global point of origin for everything that tries to restrict internet freedom :)

Status
Not open for further replies.