It's Close, but iPhone 7's Camera Still Can't Top Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

kickme22

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
I'd like to point out that Samsung phones are known to oversharpen in their post-processing which would explain why they appear to have more 'detail' in the same shot.

JeffKLass

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
Hey Sam, you have your head up your ass! Pull it out and you might see more clearly. ALL of the above iPhone7 photos that you provided are much better: better color, better contrast, better overall looks. Slightly sharper Galaxy shots don't make up for their poorer color, poorer contrast, and poorer overall looks.

Jason_177

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
This is a purely subjective review. There's no quantitative measurements at all. It turns out, Sam, that cameras can actually be measured for quality: color, sharpness, white balance, etc.

You did none of those things. Instead, you took a few photos and then said "I like Samsung more." My eyes say the iPhone photos are better in every case, so what's the value of this article other than trolling?

Please go learn how to do a proper camera review and try again. Thanks.

Tryst0

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
Almost all of the iPhone pictures actually look better than the Samsung's ones (except of the white chair, that one look better on Samsung)

Goodfella212

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
The Apple fanboys are NOT happy with this revelation. Samsung includes far superior cameras for sure in their phones It's just a fact. Apple seems to be catching up a little however, but continues to fall short. Maybe next time?

Jon_48

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
I've done the same kinds of tests with my S7 and iPhone 7+. In my testing the iPhone has better dynamic range with it's HDR photos than the samsung, which uses Auto HDR by default.

Are you showing the HDR or non HDR iPhone pictures in this test?

Askolotlo

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
That's a nice test with indeed very challenging scenes. However, this test is also mixing the camera hardware and the software (=the app).

The app is responsible for selecting the basic parameters (focus, exposure time, aperture, ISO) and for doing the postprocessing (expecially light color).

And that camera app is basically exchangeable.

However, in order to compare the pure hardware, you would need to make manual shoots with the exact same settings (focus, exposure time, aperture, ISO), and then compare the RAW files.

Alex_285

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
on the bar scene picture he clearly focused in on the light on the left hand side which gave the s7 an advantage since it detected light through the lens. where as the iPhone was 6-7 bottles focused in on the right hand side where it was clearly much darker.
this guy clearly has his head up his ass! I own both phones and Iphone Hands down produces and always has produced sharper cleaner images! and I am a photographer as well and I am not a fanboy of Apple or Android! I just like the best and will always seek out for the best. and in this case Apple has never let me down in so many ways!

LRDFNDR16

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016
As Jason_177 pointed out, this is not a tech review. It is merely an expression of a personal opinion and very biased on top of it. Some of the photographs are taken at different moments (street pics) as well as from a different direction (bottles in the bar), hence changing the light conditions all together - very poor approach, no quantified measurements at all. This is indeed trolling only, sorry mate. Maybe next time you can do it better. Your personal opinion can be widely accepted because it is YOUR taste and opinion but do not confuse it with a pro-review and comparison. All the best from Australia!

LRDFNDR16

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016
As already pointed out by Jason_177 earlier, this is a very unprofessional, personally biased and non-technical review. You like Samsung camera and that's perfectly clear. It is your PERSONAL opinion. However, comparing it to something else and making pictures under different conditions with either camera or even in more-or-less different directions and presenting it as some sort of technical comparison is a bit funny, really. No quantification, merely a cheap-ish personal bias. Better luck next time and, please, do make some technical preparation before conducting any comparative review again. All the best from Australia!

Status
Not open for further replies.